Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what kind of life vests would be best for kayaking? I dont want one to bulky and is comfortable while I am paddling around?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The best kind is the kind that you will wear ALL THE TIME!!! WHEN (NOT if) SHTF, you needed you pfd on 5 minutes ago and you won't have time to get it on while you're being flipped, run over, etc...

I've got the Extrasport Osprey (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=extrasport+pfd&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6908197295382305518&sa=X&ei=YXYhT4PpB4HXtwfBtY2iCw&ved=0CJoBEPICMAk) and wear it all the time. It's comfortable for me and the seatback I use on my yak. Another plus is all the pocket space for tackle, pliers, radio, camera, etc. Sailing pfd's are also something to look at since they offer good range of arm movement too.

Try on as many as you can while your seated in your yak until you find the one that "feels" right for you. DO NOT go cheap, your life is worth more!!!

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use an inflatable too, but my buddy did find a kayak designed PFD on steepandcheap.com for a killer price. You will just have to keep an eye for them

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ended up getting a MTI inflatable PFD, thanks for everyones inputs. I am excited and ready to give this kayak fishing a try. I have Pier, Surf, and Boat fished for a long time and I think fishing from my kayak I just bought is another page in the book and it seems thrilling.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
i really don't trust those inflatables....have one...barely wear it ...its like 4y.o too.....and yes, summer time is a different thing...astral has a breathable pfd one... thiking about giving it a try..

""<<Stay cool whilekayaking during the dog days of summer with the Astral V-Eight PFD.

Airescape™ technology minimizes vest contact with your torso and has vent ports allowing body heat to escape
Eco-conscious Gaia™ PVC-free foam is soft and flexible, and won't break down in a wet environment
Preshaped foam in front panels provides additional comfort for men and women
Nylon outer shell provides superior abrasion resistance and durability
Mesh back allows maximum airflow and increased comfort while using kayaks with high seatbacks
Mesh cargo pocket on the right front panel conveniently stores small essentials
Dial in the fit using the 2 adjustable 1 in. webbing side straps and the adjustable shoulder straps
4-way lash tab on front lets you secure accessories like strobes or knives "">>

http://www.astralbuoyancy.com/qr2/v8.php

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
West Marine has their manual inflate pfd for $80. On sale right now!
I planned to wear my inflateable vest but I am really considering a vest like posted above. Just so I can have the added floatation in case I do flip theN I do not have to rearm everytime. I can barely swim as is so I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I prefer the manual inflatable. Rearming is really easy and less than $10 on mine. I have had mine for 3 yrs and never needed it. I had the automatic before that and got caught in a nasty storm and the rain set it off not fun! So they are out!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts