Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I wonder if we could start a petition on PFF to send to Elected Officals who are on Natural Resources committee or Game and Fish committees in House and Senate in Fl about allowing one large Redfish a day like Alabama allows.

We may need to do one on increasing number of Red Snapper as well. After all, how many Red Fish and How Many Snapper are killed due to the limits in place now.

RedfishJohn:)

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts
Well, I would sign it, but I would not want to keep a bull red. All the parasites within the meat. No thank you. I dont care how much you cook it. But if it would help to feed someone else, im all for it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
i see only one reason to keep any fish you catch and the reason would be to eat it. a bull red is at near the bottom of the chain when it comes to food value, just MHO. now a slot red nicely blackened is another story.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Agreed the bulls are horrible food wise. There is no viable reason to kill the breeder fish! However I am for extending bag limit on slot fish to 3 but I am appreciative for the increase to 2.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,523 Posts
I've asked before... why is it a Bull Red is about the only fish that gets a worse food rating as it gets bigger.

Tuna, AJ, Wahoo, Catfish, Trout, Swordfish, Grouper, Mahi, Salmon, all are just as good when they are big as they are small.

I've never tried a Bull Red...

Jim

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
If we are going down this road, we should choose our battles a little more wisely. They have already given us an extra slot red. I think that is plenty. I know it's hard not to catch a bull, but two slots are all I want to bring home. As far as eating bulls...haven't had one in a while. From what everybody says, it sounds like I wouldn't keep them anyways, and for the same reason I don't keep gator trout. They are full of worms. I feel horrible when I clean a 5lb trout and throw away half the meat. I, for one, think a we should stick with the war on reef fish regs. They are where the problem is...for now.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Smaller fish not only taste better IMO but they are safer to eat, less pollution.

I have already gotten sick of catching bull reds this fall but would not keep one ever....

I'd rather eat mullet!

Like Yakavelli said lets fight for a better cause!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I would sign it just because I would be able to keep anything over 27". I think a 30" red is good. I think a 31" red is good, maybe even a 32" red. Some would keep a 45" and eat it. So why not?

Bigger they get, the harder to clean though.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I've asked before... why is it a Bull Red is about the only fish that gets a worse food rating as it gets bigger.

Tuna, AJ, Wahoo, Catfish, Trout, Swordfish, Grouper, Mahi, Salmon, all are just as good when they are big as they are small.

I've never tried a Bull Red...

Jim
Actually the same can surely be said of black drum, and in my opinion, speckled trout as well (to a lesser degree). Seeing as the biggest fish produce the most offspring (by far), and are not great table fare, they have more value to fishermen being released to make more babies! Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Flounderpounder said:
Actually the same can surely be said of black drum, and in my opinion, speckled trout as well (to a lesser degree). Seeing as the biggest fish produce the most offspring (by far), and are not great table fare, they have more value to fishermen being released to make more babies! Just my opinion.
You nailed it! People are so hell bent on keeping the primo genetics. To me a good pic with a trophy is better than a dead trophy. Measure the real bigguns and have a mount made!
I know it is very hard to let the big boys swim.

·
Land-Locked
1,120 Posts
The only people this would benefit are people who are out there fishing to feed their families and have no other way to put food on the table...

But, how many people who fish to "feed their family", really go out and fish for Redfish? I bet a very very small population, if any. Most are out there catching croakers or trout.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm a redfish eating fool :laughing:
They do taste better in the slot range and I'm very happy to be able to keep 2 now. Snap a pic with the big bulls and send them back to produce more for me to catch. And thank you :thumbup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Time I spend going fishing and not catching, makes me want to be able to keep some fish when I am on a catching spree. Think of all the $$ I spend on bait, lures, gas, licenses. Keeps people in jobs . Yes I would like to keep a big one!
People who do not actually go on boats or on the piers do not know what it means to catch and release. However they do recognize a big fish!

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
Time I spend going fishing and not catching, makes me want to be able to keep some fish when I am on a catching spree. Think of all the $$ I spend on bait, lures, gas, licenses. Keeps people in jobs . Yes I would like to keep a big one!
People who do not actually go on boats or on the piers do not know what it means to catch and release. However they do recognize a big fish!
To each his own but I try to enjoy just being out there on the water taking in nature...if how much meat you can put in your freezer for the amount of money you spend is an issue then you'd be better off going to Food World and buying chicken.

I just want to enjoy the water and hear my drag going off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do go by Joe Patti's lots of time.

To each his own but I try to enjoy just being out there on the water taking in nature...if how much meat you can put in your freezer for the amount of money you spend is an issue then you'd be better off going to Food World and buying chicken.

I just want to enjoy the water and hear my drag going off.
So many times, after spending time "fishing", I go by Joe Patti's and buy some fish to carry home. From what you say, I should just forget fishing and drive into Joe Patti's when I see the water!

Choose to have a great day.

Have you ever been to Salmon Fishing Areas in Alaska..... It is hard to believe the fisheries that the people keep there raising salmon to release so they have enough fish........

Is that done for Redfish or Speckled Trout?

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts

Its called a hobby. You choose to spend the money on fishing, just as other spend money on their hobbies (rc planes, hunting, boating, etc.) There isnt supposed to be compensation. And, I fish 90% from a boat, and all i do is catch and release. Unless, someone asks me to bring them something home. I think its very risky to eat them and not worth it to keep them. If you get it home and find out its full of worms... well, now you killed it for nothing. You're better off fishing for bulls for fun, and do like RedFishJohn, and go to Joe Patti's. Lol. But I also understand where you're coming from, but there is not much we can do. O*D*W

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
So many times, after spending time "fishing", I go by Joe Patti's and buy some fish to carry home. From what you say, I should just forget fishing and drive into Joe Patti's when I see the water.
Actually that's from what you say...you were the one talking about the amount of money you spend fishing.

What I say is that you should just try to enjoy fishing not just catching and eating.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts