Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Florida evolving into an Alaska-type situation where laws were enacted to protect them from over fishing. Not sure of the exact lineage of how they were enacted but do you think FL should follow suit for their residents? Especially natives....? I'm not a political type but I find myself these days having to fight for things that were just ordinary a few years ago...please provide your input if you think this is worth pursuing in political avenues.

Here's the link to AK if interested...
http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=fishingPersonalUse.main

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,282 Posts
I "think" eskimos have a special status in Alaska.

Other "Indians" also have special status in other states with regard to harvesting game and fish.

Most are pretty poor.

Jim

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understand and I could be wrong but I think the "personal" limit, reg, quota or whatever you call it does not apply to indians/eskimos but Alaska residents probably because of outside overfishing. It would be great if somebody from up there that knows the laws could set me straight. I'm still digging into this and the substance behind it because I see similarities down here.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It wont happen here. If anything it will be the opposite. The state depends on tourism and a very healthy chunk of those tourists come down to fish. Heck in a way its already happening.

Plus, I dont think what you think "native" means is the same as what the .gov thinks it means....

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,434 Posts
The federal government is gonna control what we do in the end, so it's a waiste of effort to try and figure out a theoretical happening that seams like a good idea unless you sit in congress and have pull which I doubt any of us have

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here we go

So let me try to explain Alaska. I currently reside in Alaska, but I'm temporarily on duty in Korea. I have lived in Alaska (off and on) for over 6 years starting in 2005.

You've gotta know 2 things about all of Alaska's hunting and fishing regulations.
#1. You almost need a PhD to get a clear understanding of their contradicting rules/regs.
#2. All wild game, to include fish, is managed primarily as subsistence (food). That's in the State Constitution.

The term "personal use" means that I can catch fish, using non-sporting means, to keep as food, because I'm a resident. The number is usually around 50 in possession, versus 3 in possession for sport fishing. This allows me (resident) to gather food and you (tourist) to have fun fishing and also keep a few.

Understand too that nobody is allowed to catch and keep any migratory fish (salmon) until a specified number have passed thru the fish counter. This insures continued returns each year. You can also use the daily fish counter to predict with amazing accuracy when the fish pods will pass thru your favorite fishing hole.

This same mindset hold true for four legged game as well, but I think this is enough for one post.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So let me try to explain Alaska. I currently reside in Alaska, but I'm temporarily on duty in Korea. I have lived in Alaska (off and on) for over 6 years starting in 2005.

You've gotta know 2 things about all of Alaska's hunting and fishing regulations.
#1. You almost need a PhD to get a clear understanding of their contradicting rules/regs.
#2. All wild game, to include fish, is managed primarily as subsistence (food). That's in the State Constitution.

The term "personal use" means that I can catch fish, using non-sporting means, to keep as food, because I'm a resident. The number is usually around 50 in possession, versus 3 in possession for sport fishing. This allows me (resident) to gather food and you (tourist) to have fun fishing and also keep a few.

Understand too that nobody is allowed to catch and keep any migratory fish (salmon) until a specified number have passed thru the fish counter. This insures continued returns each year. You can also use the daily fish counter to predict with amazing accuracy when the fish pods will pass thru your favorite fishing hole.

This same mindset hold true for four legged game as well, but I think this is enough for one post.
Thanks for clarifying. Does personal use also apply to halibut, ling cod, crab, etc or is it only for salmon?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wouldn't think so. Not sure, but I think ling cod, halibut, crab, etc..., caught in large numbers falls into the commercial fishing categories.

Heck, I don't even do the "personal use" fishing. That takes all the fun out of it for me. Have you ever processed 50 or so salmon weighing 10 to 12 pounds each with all those damn pin bones?

I hunt with a bow and arrow, fish with a single rod using a single hook, and I still give away several pounds of wild game and fish every year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts