Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peroxide therapy.. what are your thoughts? **you use 35% Food grade peroxide, you dilute it with water

Little background info..

Got a nasty micro-bacterium infection in July on my hand.. The infection was very slow forming and diagnosed wrong initially which led to it spreading through the wrist and forearm. :banghead

Once correctly diagnosed and my hand swelled up twice its size.. I was expedited for surgery to have it taken out. Twenty stitches later i am in full recovery. With my cultures coming back negative for re-infection, needless to say I though it was a thing of the past!! :bowdown:bowdown

Just my luck.. My cultures are now positive with still no positive idea on what kind of bacteria!! :banghead I have now developed another lesion on the top of my hand and back on antibiotics for the THIRD time! The same ones you would take for mercer.. They make you feel horrible since you have to take on empty stomachs.. I have officially lost about twenty pounds since this all started. :banghead

Next step.. I go to the infectious and disease doctor this coming week and like stated above I am now back on some serious antibiotics.

Now back to the question above..

What are your thoughts on peroxide therapy??

Have you or know anyone who has had success stories??

here is a link for some additional reading..

http://educate-yourself.org/cancer/benefitsofhydrogenperozide17jul03.shtml

(those who dont know what it is.. you drink diluted peroxide to kill bacteria by basically the added oxygen)

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Hey man.. I feel for ya... Ive had a couple of fish sticks from fins that caused some major swelling and finally anti biotics...

My Doc is from the old school and insisted that the AB were not by themselves going to make this go away... the worst one I had made an egg size cyst on my hand with red streaks up my arm. He made me mix a solution of the hottest water I could stand mixed with a couple of cups of Epson Salt twice a day for 30 min. The infection and swelling went away within 2 or 3 days and all sympoms were gone within 5 days. Good Luck...

·
Registered
441 Posts
First, are you diabetic? Second, the cultures the doctors did on your hand should have come back with a sensitivity to determine what antibiotics would be effective on the bacteria. If there is still a piece of the foreign body in your hand, it could be causing the re-infection. If it is MRSA, it doesn't go away over night. Peroxide can be dangerous because it will not only kill the bad cells, it also killshealthy (healing)cells, which could delay your wound healing. If you are diabetic, this could be very well related to your blood glucose. I would highly reccomend AGAINST home surgery and therapy. Go see the doctor, he went to school for a reason. It's alot easier to treat an infection than to end up with an amputation becuase of trying some "home" therapy. Kind of like it's easier to fix the original engine problem than fix someone else's attempt at fixing the problem, know what I mean?

Bob

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm not a medical type, but I am very aware of the bacteria in our waters. Vibrio scares the hell out of me, and there are plenty of others.

I have had better luck with healing by keeping a bucket w/3-4 gal water and a pint or so of Clorox on hand when I'm cleaning fish or culling oysters. Those small slices and punctures seem to heal much faster and cleaner when washed quickly in the solution...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the responses..

I am definitely following the doctors advice.. certainly going to make educated decisions.

Here is an actual product with the a similar concept:

http://www.eagle-min.com/oxtod.htm

Just gathering information and research.

thanks again.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Forum medical advice. :nonono Stick with your doctor. If you want a second opinion......get it from a second doctor.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it were in my system I would be taking vitamins, especially D,and eating as well as I could - lots of veggies, no booze. Get all the sun you can and make an effort to get a good night's sleep every night. Vitamin D is important to the immune system and yours has a job to do, even with the antibiotics. Since winter is coming sun will be really important.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Since you're taking strong antibiotics I would suggest getting some good quality probiotics to help your system deal with foreign bacteria. The antibiotics is killing good and bad bacteria so your body is trying to defend its self as best it can but could use some help. I work for The Vitamin Shoppe and would be happy to help you if you come into the store. And no we don't get commissions...just trying to help a fellow fisherman. Mine name is Ray and I'm the manager. We're at 9th and Bayou in Pensacola.

Whatever, best of luck.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just be careful with the stuff I work in a paper mill where we use 50% (not the 35%you are thinking about) and we put on full chemical suits to change out pumps ,motors. valves etc. the stuff will eat the hide off of you in concentration.

BA

·
Registered
437 Posts
I ran across this article.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/french-muck-is-this-the-new-penicillin-398141.html

It's about clays that are said to be effective against MRSA. There may be some downside that the article does not mention and I definitely would not take something without checking with a doctor (or a couple of doctors), but I don't see how it could hurt - not in place of antibiotics, but in addition to.

And the probiotics mentioned above would be a good idea too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts