Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I was down in Key West last week and i can tell you there are no fish in Key West Harbor. If you have ever been the The Half Shell Raw Bar right on the water you know what i am talking about. Tarpon, jacks, mangrove snapper, parrot fish and who knows what else is all over the harbor. There were ZERO fish. I did not see ONE! And i was looking!!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I'm going to start an debate and hopefully Karon will chime in as well, but from the shape of the head, length of the fins particularly the caudal and second dorsal I think it might just be a huge pompano.

I'm not a marine biologist but it lacks a lot of key features found in a permit.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
tunapopper (3/3/2010)I'm going to start an debate and hopefully Karon will chime in as well, but from the shape of the head, length of the fins particularly the caudal and second dorsal I think it might just be a huge pompano.

I'm not a marine biologist but it lacks a lot of key features found in a permit.
+1

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
The length of the body compared to depth is also not proportionate to permit.

If it was(is) a pompano, damn I wish I could have caught it alive!

A buddy of mine who is an inshore guide over here once caught 3 in a trip that were easily over 7lbs. Of course by the time I saw them they were fileted carcasses in a bucket. I told him "Rob, you know you have about 3 or 4 state record pomps in this bucket don't you?"

He just responded "Really? Thats pretty cool" and went about doing whatever he was doing.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
My father-in-law caught a permit in Navarre in the sound by a channel marker. They are most definitely here. His top to bottom touched the sides of a 5 gallon bucket(all we had at the time to put the fish in) and it's tail stuck out the top of the bucket. That fish was very tasty. lol

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Well the picture at the link looks like a pompano as well. :)

besides better story- you found a floating florida record pompano..

mark

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Tex i am going to eat crowand saythatI was wrong initially...

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/other/other/permit-vs-pompano-22492.html

"it's helpful to know how to differentiate between the two. <ARTICLE_LINE></ARTICLE_LINE>Permit set themselves apart at the dorsal fin. The spot where the fin touches the body forms an angle, while the pompano's is a continuous curve."

The picture below is of a pompano. Note that where the dorsal fin begins toward the front and back of the upper part of the pompano's body there is a continuing slight curve.

The pictures of the fish you posted all have an angle where thedorsal fin goes back and forward on the upper part of the body.

I stand corrected - looks like a permit to me. Mark

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tunapopper (3/3/2010)Whatever it is, I think its past its expiration date and shouldn't be consumed by humans
Are you waiting until May to get on the yak or what? I am expecting big things from you as far as prestigous catches and competition! We might be getting together an armada of yaks on a nice calm day in late april to do like a 3 mile drift out east....Kinda like a line so none can escape us an we can increase our odds...what do you think?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts