Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone gotten anythingor heard a report of any deer being taken from Perdido WMAon the Florida side? I hunted first week of gunfor threedays and had no luck. I had one blow at me, heard some ruckusand saw plenty of tracksand that was about it. I was hunting in the area just north of the weigh/check station on HWY 90.... close to Sand Landing. Oh, and I had several ducks fly overhead one afternoon and i alsochatted with a fellow hunter to add to my excitement.I like the area and hope to hear of someone's success!

I've been reading the forum for quite some time now, but just registered today. My first post. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
i believe the clear cut situation has made that particular area hard to hunt. if you could gain access to the south end (south of 90) you would have alot more action. right now you can access it by river only.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Me and a guy from work was lucky (I quess) to geta 2nd week general gun each and he was able to get a black powderpermit for Perdido and add me as a guest. He killed a 4 point monday morning about 8:00a.m. I have seen eight does, lots of scrapes and rubs, four turkeys, tons of tracks, and one huge racoon... but as for and bucks none!!!! I have heard several shots over the last few days but haven't seen any bucks. I have tried bleets, grunts, and even went and paid a ridiculas price for some code blue ( lets just say a few cents less than $40). I am hopeing that maybe tomorrow is the day???

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are a couple of ways to access the management area south of Hwy. 90.You can't access it from the river because the Nature Conservancy owns the river front and does not allow pulic access. You can park on Hwy 90 and walk in, drive down the new road off of Mobile Hwy., or go into the Western Way subdivision and park in there. just some suggestions. I have seen alot of deer in there between the WMA and the Nature Conservancy.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
kman (1/28/2010)There are a couple of ways to access the management area south of Hwy. 90.You can't access it from the river because the Nature Conservancy owns the river front and does not allow pulic access. You can park on Hwy 90 and walk in, drive down the new road off of Mobile Hwy., or go into the Western Way subdivision and park in there. just some suggestions. I have seen alot of deer in there between the WMA and the Nature Conservancy.
i went in western way a few years back to do some scouting and was HARASSED by the neighbors there. they left notes on my truck telling me that i cantbe inthere.. they even went as far as to tell me(face to face)that they would call the authorities if they saw my truck in there again. however, i called the authorities first(property manager) and he told me i was perfectly legal and he had heard a couple other complaints about the "locals". maybe they have calmed down now though. good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear a few didn't get away!

I had trouble tellin the buck scrapes from the bulldozer scrapes! haha. That place is a mess this year, will next year be better?

I too am lookin forward to getting back out there for Archery and Spring Turkey, as a guest this time.

Scouted Western Way entrancea few days days in late December with no problems from the neighbors, for whatever that's worth. What "new Road off of Mobile Hwy" are you referring to? The WMA gate south of 90with a parking area(with fairly new clearcut) and then gated foot traffic onlyroad off to the southeast?

And I did notice the Nature Conservancy signs when I scouted in my boat. I saw them ( signs)in the open oxbow just south of the 90 bridge on Perdido river.I looked up theeffort online.Lots of rare plants are in there they say....and I say I aint hunting plants!How much can we enjoy those damn pitcher plants if we can't even get in there to see them?!! jk. Long Live the Pitcher Plant!

Good Luck to all!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
the place that needs to be accessed cannot, because the huggers will not give an easement. which is understandable, i wouldn't want to give an easement to come thru our place either. there is a whole lot of that perdido river sportsman property is now unreachable, now that is management area.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts