Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=07eec01757274b258bd8932bad27b881&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckUserId=07eec01757274b258bd8932bad27b881&plckPostId=Blog:07eec01757274b258bd8932bad27b881Post:ea72a94d-a46f-4ebd-a720-cb0c7a302c9f&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest

December 17, 2009:

Escambia County commissioners will raise their offer to buy land for a boat ramp on the Perdido River, near Mobile Highway in Beulah.

(about 450 feet west of Ruby's Fish Camp)

Commissioners unanimously agreed today to go beyond a formula which set the price for the two lots ? a total of 4.31 acres ? at $888,500. Staffers said the owners, Gregory and Linda English, insist on $1.12 million, the value set by an appraisal conducted for them.

Commissioners discussed differences between appraisal methods, then authorized staffers to talk with the owners about paying the higher price.

"You?re dealing with all kinds of variables," said Chairman Grover Robinson IV, a commercial Realtor.

The land is big enough for a boat launch and 43 parking spaces.

After the county acquires this property, Commissioner Wilson Robertson said he hopes the county can buy three nearby parcels to make way for a park and community center.

December 16, 2009:

Escambia County?s west-side could get a much-needed boat ramp on the Perdido River, if both sides resolve a $223,500 difference between the asking price and the buyer?s offer.

The matter will come up Thursday at a meeting of the Escambia County Commission, which must decide whether to stick with its $888,500 offer or move closer to the seller?s insistence on $1,112,000.

Gregory and Linda English own the property, two lots totalling 4.31 acres on Perdido River at Mobile Highway. The county?s Marine Advisory Committee says the area needs a boat ramp, and staffers determined the property has protected waters and is large enough for the ramp and parking.

The county hired an appraiser, who pegged the value at $665,000. The owners? appraisal set the value at $1,112,000.

The county, following the normal format, offered the average of the two appraisals -- $888,500, but the owners insist on $1,112,000, according to documents prepared for Thursday?s meeting.

Commissioners will be asked to decide if the county should scrap the plan, stick with the lower offer, or ask the owners to make a counter-offer.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, Feb. 18th, 2010:

Escambia County commissioners on Thursday also voted to:

Offer $888,500 for two waterfront properties totaling 4.3 acres along Perdido River to build a county boat ramp.

Gregory and Linda English, who own the property off Mobile Highway in Beulah, had the properties appraised at $1.11 million, while the county's appraisal was $665,000.

Gregory English has said he would not accept less than $1,090,000 for the properties. Commissioners agreed Thursday to offer him the average of the two appraisals, $888,500.

The vote to offer this amount was 3-2 in favor, with commissioners Kevin White and Grover C. Robinson IV opposed.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Thanks for the update...hopefully it will work out. only downside i see to this location is its north of the log jam. hopefully they will do something about that area so it will stay clear. I was out there last time i was home and it was finally clear after being jamed up for a few months

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Midnight Rider told me he saw an article in the PNJ this morning saying the county had purchased the land!!!! Now we just get to wait for 10 years for them to do whatever construction they have to do. But hey...its a start!

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
What's wrong with the boat ramp at Ruby's Fish Camp? I saw this on the Channel 3 news last night and to an outsider it looks like an abuse of county funds to build a boat ramp next to an existing one not to mention an effort to take away income the $4 ramp fee that Ruby's Fish Camp (small business)charges for the use of their ramp. You guys are the locals so tell me what I'm missing and try to be nice about it please! I'm just telling you what it looks like to a lot of people that watched the news last night who don't live in that area! TGIF!:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
please don't take everything you might read in the PNJ or see on WEAR as the gospel...

it takes a "super majority" (at least 4-1) vote toto ratify aland purchase by the BOCC...i believe any purchase over $250k...

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Im not trying to say its 100% true...just putting up the info that i was told. and about putting a public ramp next to a private ramp...first off the people at rubys will probably make more money off of beer and ice sales then they ever did off of their crappy boat ramp. i have launched there one time and it was a royal PITA!!! ramp is WAY too steep. Not to mention that my boat registration money helps pay for all the other public ramps for people that want to fish everywhere else...why shouldnt the people that want to fish perdido river also get a public ramp? for me to fish perdido river from a public ramp i have to go launch in Alabama! either that or i have to launch at sandy landing which isnt much of a boat ramp and WAY too far up the river for where i like to fish. or there is the ramp at dogtrack rd....thats even farther seeing as how its on the other side of the bay from the mouth of perdido river. im not trying to bash anyone or anything like that...just saying that for those of us that dont have big boats to fish offshore or even the bay and that like to river fish...we deserve a public ramp just as much as the other fisherman!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I dont have a problem with a boat ramp, I have a problem with the County wanting to pay 200 grand more than their own appraisal. 888grand for boat ramp LAND, not even the ramp, piers, bathrooms, parking lot etc... It will be a million just to launch bass boats and jetskis.........did they find a money tree?? Do we really need a launch ramp that bad. They should have walked away from that deal. The people would have called them back with a hell of a lot less of an offer.

Wilson Robinsion is frigging crazy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
ruby's ramp is not a public ramp. it could close up just like hurst hammock.it is also in disrepair with no docks. all you can really launch is a small river boat. some people don't like the bar patrons raisin cane while you and your kids are launching and landing.

there is a huge need for a public ramp on perdido. we have been fighting for a ramp for a decade...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might have missed the blurb in the PNJ but the county BOCC has only agreed to allow county staff to make an offer that is half way between the buyers and sellers appraisals. It has not yet been bought.

The owner may decide to hold out for the full amount they desire to get. The owner does not live there and the property is one of many investment properties they own. BTW, the 2008 property taxes on the propertyhave yet to be paid.

As far as Ruby's Fish Camp's ramp...............it is nothing more than a busted slab of old slime covered concrete hanging at a 45 degree angle from the river bank. I looked once and turned around and went elsewhere. Might be okay for a rowboat, canoe, jon boat, etc.

The Sandy Landing boat ramp operated by NWFWMD is pretty much rowboat, canoe, jon boat, etc also.

And the funds are coming from $4million in localoption sales taxes as request by Mr. Turpin several years ago. This ramp comes on the heels of last years purchase of boat ramp property on Bayou Chico off Mahagony Mill Road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts