Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Been a member here for years and get on here just about every day, but first time posting. Informative and entertaining place for sure.

Wife and I get to Florida a couple times a year, but this will be our first time in Perdido Key. Coming down for 3 weeks in Sept/Oct. Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on places to fish in the area, tactics etc. Not targeting anything in particular but hoping for something other than catfish and pinfish. I usually surf fish if the beaches aren't too crowded, but also like the bays and such where I can set up a chair and fish. No boat, so shore fishing only. I fish both live bait and artificial and do have a small cast net and sabikis for bait.

Also any restaurants we should try (or avoid) or any other recommended stuff to do in the area? Hoping to see the Blue Angels practice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
Fishing from land, is a limited thing to do in Perdido Area
Wade fishing grass flats in Big Lagoon works, access from Johnson Beach.
However, surf fishing should be good.

I do see people fishing under the Theo Barrs Bridge

Restaurants = Hub Stacy's on the Point, The Pointe Restaurant, Sunset Grill, Flora Bama Yacht Club, Fisherman's Corner. (Florida Eatery's) Orange Beach and Gulf Shores starts another long list

This has to be a PFF Record - member sine 03/28/2015 - First Post - 7 Years
Welcome Aboard

·
Registered
160 Posts
Plenty of fish to be had bank/wade fishing big lagoon. I take my kayak out there a few times a year and camp on Johnson Island. You can fish the lagoon for a while then walk over to the beach side to surf fish too--best of both worlds.

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
Blue Angels Practice on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:15 am to 11, they are buzzing my house now.

There is a very large gathering of spectators at the corner of Sorrento and Blue Angel Parkway. Walmart and Target parking lots.
I hear traffic exists, get there early

There are several sightseeing boats / dolphin boats that do Blue Angel Practice trips to see from the water neat the Pass to the GOM

·
Registered
310 Posts
I recently purchased a spot in Perdido Key because we love the area so much. It is not as congested as other areas and just as Banana Tom pointed out - all the restaurants are great. There is one other - Jaco's - I will let you decide. We went when it first opened and were not impressed, but we are going to give it another shot at some point. Perdido Sports Bar and Grille is another good hangout - live music, good food.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
welcome back, dave. glad you're starting to post. i used to fish under the alabama point bridge which is the bridge over the perdido pass on hwy. 182. it's a public fishing area with parking, porta-potty, and benches. depending on the tide, you can catch just about anything that will bite: lady fish, blues, macs, spades, redfish. make sure you have a fishing license for alabama salt water.
jack

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
i used to fish under the Alabama point bridge which is the bridge over the Perdido Pass to the GOM
Directly under the bridge, on the west side of the bridge, is fenced off and currently closed - Sally Damages still exist.

One can fish south of there along the seawall, on the west side of the bridge, like behind The Gulf Restaurant.
That area has reopened since Sally.

Keep in mind, an Alabama Fishing License is required.

And I am only speaking to Florida in my replies to "Perdido Key Info needed" not to derail the subject

ON Labor Day weekend, I nosed up under the east side of the bridge.
Never been there before.
Nice Sand Beach
Lots of kids swimming and it is a shaded area, which is why I went there when I saw it.
Took a break from the sun and swam to cool off.

·
Registered
15,241 Posts
There is one other - Jaco's - I will let you decide.
Yep the Old Trigger Fish Restaurant.
I did not name that one yet.
The Downtown Jaco's is well established.

I have not been to the 2nd location, and have heard mixed opinions.
Possibility due to new location woes.
The management / owners are great. and I am sure in time will get it polished off nicely

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently purchased a spot in Perdido Key because we love the area so much. It is not as congested as other areas and just as Banana Tom pointed out - all the restaurants are great. There is one other - Jaco's - I will let you decide. We went when it first opened and were not impressed, but we are going to give it another shot at some point. Perdido Sports Bar and Grille is another good hangout - live music, good food.
I might be looking to do the same. Did you buy a house or are you building?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey all,
Been a member here for years and get on here just about every day, but first time posting. Informative and entertaining place for sure.

Wife and I get to Florida a couple times a year, but this will be our first time in Perdido Key. Coming down for 3 weeks in Sept/Oct. Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on places to fish in the area, tactics etc. Not targeting anything in particular but hoping for something other than catfish and pinfish. I usually surf fish if the beaches aren't too crowded, but also like the bays and such where I can set up a chair and fish. No boat, so shore fishing only. I fish both live bait and artificial and do have a small cast net and sabikis for bait.

Also any restaurants we should try (or avoid) or any other recommended stuff to do in the area? Hoping to see the Blue Angels practice.

Thanks!
Perdido Key is a nice area. As said above, it’s usually a lot less crowded than than most & this time of year, usually the wait isn’t bad at restaurants. If you’re staying 3 weeks you’ll probably eventually travel over to Orange beach. Check out J&M Tackle and Sams Bait & Tackle on Canal Rd. Ask the guys there what’s been biting & what bait to use. We usually do pretty good fishing off the beaches there. The beaches usually aren’t to crowded this time of year & some days you can fish all day while sunbathing. There is also a kayak launch at Johnson Beach when you go past the guard the shack take road to the left. It may be a good spot to wade fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, Perdido Key sounds great. Wife doesn't fish, but likes to sit at the beach, so hopefully surf fishing will be good so I don't have to desert her to go fishing:). Sounds like some good dining options. We've been to Flounders in Pensacola a couple of times, so we'll probably hit that for the triple decker key lime pie. We like coming down in the Fall with less crowds and weather is still nice. Any Pompano around this time of year?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks!
Following: Not trying to hijack you cincydave Just gona be in the same place around the same time. We rented a house in Perdido Key first of Oct. Just as a get away for me wife and kid. Kid loves the beach I could care less if there's not fishing involved but this an't for me lol. I have not been anywhere on the gulf coast other than Alabama and mostly just boat ramps there scene before Ivan came through. I think I can find the beach for the kid lol. What ya''ll recommend for fun stuff for a 4 year old? Keep the info coming and thanks to all!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Part of it is still closed due to Sally? but the Big Lagoon State Park has some hiking trails, small beach and docks to fish. Unfortunately, the Naval Air Museum is still off-limits to the public, thanks to the damn Saudis. The Wharf in Orange Beach has some carnival rides and lots of shops, plus the outdoor concert venue. Plenty of tourist traps in Gulf Shores.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, Perdido Key sounds great. Wife doesn't fish, but likes to sit at the beach, so hopefully surf fishing will be good so I don't have to desert her to go fishing:). Sounds like some good dining options. We've been to Flounders in Pensacola a couple of times, so we'll probably hit that for the triple decker key lime pie. We like coming down in the Fall with less crowds and weather is still nice. Any Pompano around this time of year?
I don’t know what kind of gear you have, but Perdido Key has produced some good shark fishing for me casting from the beach in the evenings with cut bait from lady fish & other stuff caught in the surf throughout the day. If you’re driving a truck down, a kayak could also be handy. It’d probably be cheaper to get on FB market place & buy a cheap used one locally in the area when you get there than to rent one for 3 weeks. If you do that, around the channel markers out from the kayak launch at the state park on the park side of them usually holds some speckled trout. They like a jerk bait worked fast, solid white or a darker colored back like green, blue, or black with a white or silver belly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bring mostly medium spinning gear but do have a 4500 size baitrunner spooled with 80 LB braid on a fairly stout rod, so may try the cutbait in the evening, Thanks.
I don’t know what kind of gear you have, but Perdido Key has produced some good shark fishing for me casting from the beach in the evenings with cut bait from lady fish & other stuff caught in the surf throughout the day. If you’re driving a truck down, a kayak could also be handy. It’d probably be cheaper to get on FB market place & buy a cheap used one locally in the area when you get there than to rent one for 3 weeks. If you do that, around the channel markers out from the kayak launch at the state park on the park side of them usually holds some speckled trout. They like a jerk bait worked fast, solid white or a darker colored back like green, blue, or black with a white or silver belly.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Jellyfish is decent for sushi. Good wings and such also. Pauls Pizza for a good take-out pizza and wings. I'd say Crab Trap but my last visit was disappointing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts