Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what benefits a membership at PYC holds? I've tried calling the Club to ask them but, no one answers...

·
Registered
337 Posts
BIGRIGZ (4/12/2010)Anyone know what benefits a membership at PYC holds? I've tried calling the Club to ask them but, no one answers...
Yacht clubs are social/sailing groups.

What were you looking to get out of it??

They have a bar you can drink at :letsdrink and a restaurant. PYC is a Gulf Yachting Association member club, so you get rights to visit any other member clubs including Ft. Walton, Bay-Waveland, Mobile, Buccaneer, etc. This allows you tolaunch your boat and use their facilities should you need. Should you sail, they have Wednesday night fun races as well as a lot of competetive events throughout the year. Memberships are generally extended by being nominated by a current member and ratified by other members at monthly meeting. At least, that is how new memberships are handled at FWYC and BWYC.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I am a little surprised that no one answers, but it is possible that Sunday and Monday the office is closed. PYC has a very nice restraunt (for members and guests). They have a bar. The ramp is iffy, and I am not sure about the crane currently. There is a pool, junior sailing program. There are a number of sailors, power boat members and members who only use it as a social club. There are docks-but these are exposed to the winds of Pensacola Bay much of the time.

There is reciprocity with both Florida Council of Yacht clubs--and Gulf Coast Yachting association. This means that free dockage for a couple of days, at the reciprocity yacht clubs, and you can charge meals and bar tabs there. This includes Southern in New Orleans, one in Houston/Clear Lake area, Mississippi, Fort Walton, Destin, etc. In South Florida there are about 70 clubs, including some pretty fancy places which have reciprocity.

There are dances, social events, cruises and a chance to volunteer with national sailing programs. Not much in the way of fising. There is a race to Isla Mujeres Mexico every other year.

I belonged for about 8 years, and gave it up when I got out of bigger power cruisers. Nice people, social atmosphere. Dues are not real high, but when I left there were a number of assesments, for new buildings, new kitchen, new pool, new docks--and I ended up eating out there exclusively because of the charge for food monthly. There is also a buy in to the club--at this time I believe it is a non equity club--that is a new member will not own any of the property--and have no residual value when he leaves.

·
Registered
380 Posts
<P align=left>Yep, office is closed onSunday and Monday. I used to belong to Pensacola Beach Yacht Club and visited PYCmany times for races, parties, etc. and to just hang out and have a drink at the bar. Best Bushwackers in town...made with real ice cream, not a powdered mix.<P align=left>http://pensacolayachtclub.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourID=54950&ClubID=13160<P align=center>Hours of Operation: <P align=center>Office:
8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Tuesday - Friday<P align=center>Restaurant and Bar:
11:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Tuesday - Thursday
11:00 AM to 10:00 PM, Friday and Saturday
11:00 AM to 7:00 PM, Sunday
Dockmaster:
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Tuesday - Sunday

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Grand Lagoon Yacht Club on Gulf Beach Highway is another local option and is also a member of the GYA. Very reasonable rates, great resturant and bar,and the closest ramp in town to the pass (other than Sherman Cove).

·
Registered
337 Posts
warmachine10 (4/13/2010)I always thought you had to be "rich" to be a member
I dont qualify as "rich" by any standard. I am a member at Fort Walton and Bay-waveland over in MS. Not sure what the dues are here as it varies from club to club. The atmosphere varies from club to club too, so I cant comment about PYC as I have never been over there. I know FWYC is about as lowkey and laid back as possible and a ton of fun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts