Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there.. Been a reader for a while, this is my first post though!

I wanted to get yalls opinions on whether Pensacola or PCB is better for fishing and just living in general (also open to other cities, probably Gulf side, but open to Atlantic as well). I have been living in PCB since the beginning of August, but my lease is about to be up at the end of February and I am considering moving to Pensacola. The very name of this forum leads me to believe that the fishing in Pensacola is as good or better than here in PCB! I have had a great time fishing St. Andrews bay (I have a kayak) and the beach as well. I have the annual pass, and I sort of know the area now so that's one reason to stay.

One of the reasons I am hesitant to move is that I love the beach, and want to live close to it (ideally less than a mile) so I can walk with my surf cart, but housing on the barrier island seems limited. Housing elsewhere in the Pensacola area seems to be very reasonably priced. I build guitars, so I need a house with a garage for workshop space.

Thanks for the help! :thumbup:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Better stay here Justin, too many ugly women in Pensacola.;)...just joking.
Really I don't know of another bay where you can catch Red Snapper, Gag Grouper, Reds, Specs, King and Stripe Bass other than Pensacola. Don't know how close to the beach you will get though, guess that depends on how much you can afford.

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Look out towards Perdido. Your St. Andrews pass is good at all state parks, including Big Lagoon. Some great kayak fishing around there...and the gulf is just across the bridge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forum Fiend v1.3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, the ugly women are easy enough to avoid, it is the hot and crazy ones that you have to be careful about! ;)

Ok, excellent news about the pass. Does that include after hour access, or is that kind of thing particular to St. Andrews? I will look into the Perdido area, thanks for the suggestion Yakavelli.

Tight lines!

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Dave, the ugly women are easy enough to avoid, it is the hot and crazy ones that you have to be careful about! ;)

Ok, excellent news about the pass. Does that include after hour access, or is that kind of thing particular to St. Andrews? I will look into the Perdido area, thanks for the suggestion Yakavelli.

Tight lines!
He's right. Hot and crazy one's all up & down the coast. Pensacola's Fishery has been on the decline to me. Population, Sewage, traffic. East of PCity seems not so developed. Our beach fishing in Pcola has faded since sand re nourishment has began some few years ago. Fish seem to go around it. No one cares. Have to keep the beach hotel owners happy. Tourism is as of now the only industry Florida seems to care about. I wish that would change. We need other industry's as well. But that's another dream. Good luck !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's right. Hot and crazy one's all up & down the coast. Pensacola's Fishery has been on the decline to me. Population, Sewage, traffic. East of PCity seems not so developed. Our beach fishing in Pcola has faded since sand re nourishment has began some few years ago. Fish seem to go around it. No one cares. Have to keep the beach hotel owners happy. Tourism is as of now the only industry Florida seems to care about. I wish that would change. We need other industry's as well. But that's another dream. Good luck !
Eh, no bueno. My parents have a place in Myrtle Beach, SC, and the surf fishing there is quite dismal. I've heard that it's because of the sand pumping operations. When I first moved here to PCB the beach was #1 priority, but now that I have a kayak it's not quite as important. I still love landing a big red or sharks from the beach though!

Thanks for the info and the well wishes. :)

Yes. The pass includes night access at Big Lagoon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forum Fiend v1.3.
Excellent. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
JMB - I think you'll fare better over here. You'll have much more access to brackish and fresh water - Escambia and Blackwater Rivers, you'll have access to the same Intra-coastal, and I think you'll catch more fish here. You'll have equal access to Choctawhatchee Bay as you would in PC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I might need to take a little weekend trip with the kayak to check out some houses and the fishing! :D 2 hour drive isn't bad at all. Haha, I know what you mean BentStraight, but I prefer my water's blue ;) I love the fishing here in PCB, but something is telling me Pensacola might be the right move!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Look at Mexico Beach, Beacon Hill, or Port St Joe. Alot cheaper real estate there. But none are high on the city amenities either. Quiet small town living on the coast. Very close to PC too.

NOTHING in any of those towns is more than 1/2 mile from the beach.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
CRAP! I thought it was ALWAYS post when you've had too much to drink...

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Look at Mexico Beach, Beacon Hill, or Port St Joe. Alot cheaper real estate there. But none are high on the city amenities either. Quiet small town living on the coast. Very close to PC too.

NOTHING in any of those towns is more than 1/2 mile from the beach.
I agree our place in Carrabelle was cheap & we're only 40 miles from Mexico beach & around 80 miles to PCB. You also have St. George Island, Cape San Blas, Apalachicola, Port St. Joe just a skip & a jump away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haha, Dave, fishing reports will be coming soon! Btw, let's take out the yaks or at least fish the surf soon. Been too long since I've wet a line! Still on my hiatus from drinking, though, so no worries there. Drank enough when I first got here in the summer to last me all year I think ;)

Hmm, stc and nomo.. I've been using padmapper.com to look for housing and there are a lot of options around Pensacola but 0 around Port St. Joe, St. George Island, etc.. Do you think that's because I'm looking to rent? I found padmapper to be very useful for trying to find something near the beach.. highly recommended!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts