Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
I certainly haven't seen it living here most of my 72 years. My wife, after living here five years, continues to comment about the safety and lack of crime. If those numbers are real it must be geographically restricted, it is almost non-existent anywhere someone would likely choose for a second home.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,868 Posts
IDK, but P'cola has been having increased drive-by shootings lately. Two separate this past weekend, said it was gang related. But we all know it's drug related. Going to be like Mobile, Al before long, shootings just about every day, murders about every week.

·
Alumacrafty
113 Posts
As a Pensacola native, choose Destin...just because.
My wife and I had stayed in Destin the last 5 years. I surf fish and when we first went there it was quiet area with beautiful beaches and water. We now go to Corpus Christi and the water and air temp is about 8 degrees warmer than Destin. You can drive on the beaches so you have a lot of freedom as to where you go. Lots of beautiful small towns with reasonable pricing. Something to consider.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I always liked the Ft. Walton, but traffic has gotten worse even there. Ease getting around, and for quiet, I would choose Pensacola Beach. but I am not 20 years old. The crime shown in the Pensacola statistics is mostly in the city, not the beach. Folks ask us these questions quite often. When you decide, I hope that you post where you landed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The crime shown in the Pensacola statistics is mostly in the city, not the beach. Folks ask us these questions quite often.
Geographically confined within the city and much of it outside of the city limits. Yes, there was a shooting this weekend. (1) no one would ever choose that area for a second home (2) it was not a random "drive by" but a specific target. The beach is a great second home (I have one there) and a first home in the winter. In the tourist season it's a mixed blessing for a primary home. We all have different preferences but for second home for a father and 20 yr old daughter team, Pcola Beach is hard to beat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I appreciate all your responses and help. As to fishing, maybe I was not clear. I am an avid fishermen, as is my daughter. We have a camp on the coast of Louisiana (Grand Isle). I own a 35 Invincible Cat and 270Z Sea Vee. I do not own any jet skis. I truly take fishing serious and have often fished tournaments throughout the gulf coast.. However, my daughter and I just want a place where we could boat ride in pretty blue water near the coast and chill on the beach. I guest you could say we just want to be non-fishing tourist every so often. She also attends LSU and wants a safe place to enjoy with her friends. Finally I would want to play golf at various courses.

·
Registered
13,618 Posts
However, my daughter and I just want a place where we could boat ride in pretty blue water near the coast and chill on the beach. I guest you could say we just want to be non-fishing tourist every so often. She also attends LSU and wants a safe place to enjoy with her friends. Finally I would want to play golf at various courses.
I would choose Pensacola Beach.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Destin had become a circus! bumper to bumper traffic all day and poor beach access. Pensacola Beach had areas you can escape to avoid crowds aside from main beach area. I have been in the area since 1967 and Pensacola or Gulf Breeze would be my only choice. NOT DESTIN ! Fishing is also better off of Pensacola .

·
Registered
887 Posts
From a lifelong Pensacolian, we have a family condo on the beach in Destin and love to go several times a year. Yep, traffic is a bear, but you learn when to do your running around and when not to. Lots of golf options in Destin, and plenty of good restaurants and things for a college aged kid and a dad to do. We're beach people and go to Pensacola Beach a good bit, but the beaches in Destin are better kept, and the water seems to be clearer and nicer than points west. Be careful though, unless you have a condo or house directly on the beach, you may not have beach access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I appreciate all your responses and help. As to fishing, maybe I was not clear. I am an avid fishermen, as is my daughter. We have a camp on the coast of Louisiana (Grand Isle). I own a 35 Invincible Cat and 270Z Sea Vee. I do not own any jet skis. I truly take fishing serious and have often fished tournaments throughout the gulf coast.. However, my daughter and I just want a place where we could boat ride in pretty blue water near the coast and chill on the beach. I guest you could say we just want to be non-fishing tourist every so often. She also attends LSU and wants a safe place to enjoy with her friends. Finally I would want to play golf at various courses.
Destin and it is not even close. You and your daughter would love it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
As a realtor in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, I would say to at least stop and see what Alabama has to offer.
I live North of Pcola and it's awesome here. I would not live "in" the city but out of it in Escambia county if you choose this area. I can have the ski in the water in 25 minutes. Close enough to visit the water, but far enough that it doesn't visit me.

I took the ski down to Orange beach while skylarking just to check it out. I have to give this fella a nod, I was impressed.

It's more boat centric than Pcola by a lot, and more than Destin a little I think. I'm talking about the marina activity, the number of drive up/boat-up restaurants, and general cater to watercraft that you will find.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts