Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got a question for the forum. Where is the best/easiest/closest place to launch to get into the PCola Pass? My dad has been out from Illinois, busting his ass helping me install flooring, and I wanted to put him on some sheepies. I know I could hit 3MB and/or Escambia, but it sounds like the pass is heating up. I'm active duty, so if Sherman is legitimately the closest option, I can make that happen too. Thanks!

-Jake

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Kayaks dont belong in the pass. Period. If anything launch at pickens and fish the jetties on the "back side" (bay) to the west of the piers. Do not cross the pass. Should be some strong tides tomorrow. Not to mention heavy boat traffic.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Man, back stretch of NAS is right at the pass..literally.....I've caught sheepies right off that little beach 100 yrd out in a boat. I'm sure a yak would do ok but lots and lots of Boat traffic

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Kayaks dont belong in the pass. Period. If anything launch at pickens and fish the jetties on the "back side" (bay) to the west of the piers. Do not cross the pass. Should be some strong tides tomorrow. Not to mention heavy boat traffic.
Yep stay out of the pass and I've fished the Pickens jetties from the bay side but it was still a challenge with the tide. The guys on the beach were killing it and we had a terrible time holding position in our Hobies

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rog. I was curious about the feasibility of taking in the pass. I used to own a boat last year during the sheepie run, so maybe I'm a little overzealous. Looks like I'll keep us in calmer waters. Any recommendations as to whether 3MB will be my best shot, or should I work further up in Escambia?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Please don't kayak in the Pass. Often the pass can be difficult with the currents, motorized traffic and sailboats crossing at different directions and speeds. Adding paddle power to the mix would really be unsafe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Even at Pickens the tide movement is insane sometimes. Tried it once and even with 50' rode on my grapnel anchor in about 6' water I was still being pulled toward the pass.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ended up going to 3MB. Got on the water about 0900 and landed two really nice sheep's around 1030. After that the current went slack and the bite turned off. Unfortunately, my dad wasn't able to connect, but it was easy paddling. Thanks everyone for the advice. Whether or not the pass was terrible today, I'd rather play it safe; especially with family. No fish is worth getting hurt over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm a bit confused by this .
" Launch at Sherman and paddle to the island then fish the jetties off the beach" I've put in at Sherman cove before. I've paddled around the little island. After that is fort McRee. It has two jetties that I see. Are those the jetties you're talking about? I'd imagine the pass current to be very swift there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No doubt the pass can eat you alive, I've went in at Pickens on a beautiful calm day right trough the pass headed to the USS. In a matter of 15 mins the seas did a 180, and just a 25% change in the gulf is a 150% change in the pass. If it wasn't for my non-smoking, 29yr old, 6yrs of paddling experience, that 3 hour night mare of trying to get back would have ended ALOT worse. I had to beach several hundred yards down from the pass and walk my yak back, couldn't even walk knee deep through the pass. Even the bay tried to whoop my but once back in quieter water. It's a neat area but changes SO fast!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts