Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Report : Feb 25th
Pensacola Pass Light Tackle Drag Screaming Fun!
Over the past couple of weeks I’ve been up in the upper bay / rivers doing some fun brackish water fishing for trout and reds, and so the pass was a nice change of pace.
My group for the day was a great crew from northern Alabama who really wanted to go fishing and bow up on some great fighting reds. I splashed the boat in Perdido Key because the wind was blowing a solid 20 knots and I didn’t want to deal with the rough water in the bay since the wind was blowing out of the northeast. My clients David, Buck, Keith and Steve were eager to see what deep dropping in the pass was all about, and they couldn’t wait to see what kind of fish they would get to see. The variety of fish caught in the pass range from redfish, sheepshead, red snapper, grouper, black drum, flounder and a few other smaller species.

Keith with a nice Black Drum

The forecast was calling for the winds to die down around 2 –3 pm so we launched the boat at noon. Since high tide was peaking around 11:30, so I figured we’d fish the outgoing tide and hopefully the bite would be good. With a livewell full of lively shrimp and a few fiddler crabs and the rods rigged we made our way across Big Lagoon. We arrived at the pass in quick order and I gave a short tutorial on how to fish with circle hooks as well as J hooks, and what to do if we hooked into a monster redfish and what to do if we hooked into a big red snapper or grouper that was trying to take them back into the rocks. After the short demonstration, the guys were ready to see what lurked below.

Buck with a nice big redfish ------------------- Buck shows off a 41" redfish

It didn’t take long before I heard Buck yell out, “Captain, I think I’ve got a fish, and he’s not stopping! How do I stop him?” I looked at the rod and I could tell it was a redfish. Little did I realize that it was a MONSTER 41’ REDFISH. Buck did battle with this fish for a long time on the medium heavy 7 ft All Star rod matched up with a Penn Battle 4000. After we boated the fish and took a few pics, I revived the fish and he swam off to be caught another day. Buck said, “That was awesome, but if we hook another one, you guys can have it, my wrist is spent!” We all laughed and ribbed him a bit for complaining. The bite stayed steady all 5 hrs and we caught a variety of fish including red snapper, one which went a good 4 lbs and my guys were bummed that we had to let it go, to red many more smaller snappers which made for great light tackle fun.

Buck checks out his first ever red snapper, I told him to come
back in the summer and then he could keep it. He was bummed we had to let it go.
Somewhere in the middle of the trip I heard David say, I think I’ve got a redfish.” But this one was not fighting as hard as Buck’s, and it didn’t take too long until David had a nice 27” 8 lb red in the boat.

David bowed up with a nice red ---------------------- David shows off a perfect 27" - 8 lb red!

We snapped a few pics and tossed him in the fish bag. Not long after that, Keith bowed up with a nice black drum that also made its way into the fish bag. Near the end of the trip I actually heard Buck say, “Hey, I think I’ve got another red, anyone want it?” So, Steve stepped up, grabbed the rod and the battle was on. Steve did a great job fighting his fish and a few minutes later he had his trophy in the boat. The guys did a great job, it took them a bit to get used to the circle hooks, so we missed a few fish, but they definitely got the hang of it.

Steve is all smiles after landing this 32" Redfish
Even though it was a windy cold day, we managed to have a great day on the water with some great light tackle fun.
The guys are coming back in mid May to do some flats fishing. I’ll be taking them in up in Escambia / Blackwater when they come back to do some trout and red fishing on the flats using artificials.
Till the next adventure.
Capt. John

Mega-Bite Inshore Charters
www.megabiteinshore.com
850-341-9816

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great fight

I was out there when you guys were fighting that red. I tried to keep my distance but that was an incredable fight and nice fish sorry about the rubber necking. Great job Captain. Your guys were having great time. My hat is off to you for putting them on some really good fish. Nice to see a captain keeping his fishermen on the fish.:thumbsup::thumbup:

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was out there when you guys were fighting that red. I tried to keep my distance but that was an incredable fight and nice fish sorry about the rubber necking. Great job Captain. Your guys were having great time. My hat is off to you for putting them on some really good fish. Nice to see a captain keeping his fishermen on the fish.:thumbsup::thumbup:
Thanks everyone for the kind words,
Fisherdwn, the guy who hooked the big red had his hands full. I told him about 5 minutes into the battle you've hooked a big red. About 10 minutes into the fight he said his wrist was about to give out. Once he landed it he said it was the biggest fish of his life, So I was very excited for him.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts