Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here and first timer. Decided to come down to spend New Years with the family. I have fished in Pensacola a couple of times and was wondering if its worth a shot to fish during this time of the year. The weather doesn’t look like it will give up but I don’t mind getting a little wet. Thinking about Ft Pickens. Is it worth the effort in this rain? Love to snag some sheep’s if that is a possibility there. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome back to Pensacola and to PFF. Unfortunately, since congress couldn't get their heads out of their nether regions and approve a paltry 1% of the cost of the Farm Bill toward border security, there is an inconvenient and annoying partial government shutdown in progress, which means (I believe) that Ft. Pickens is currently closed. Check behind me on that, I hope I'm wrong. So if you're going by boat, try bridge pilings or other structure for sheeps but if you're on foot, I am unable to give good suggestions for you.

I hope you find some fish while you're here, there are still fish to be caught but I'm just not knowledgable about shore-bound fishing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the heads up. I did do some initial research and I think the facility and the campgrounds are closed however there is a statement saying that the national park waters are open. Not really sure if the pier is off limits.

And yes I will be on foot. I wish I can get on a boat down here. Is Bob Sykes bridge still shut down?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. Failed miserably today at Sykes and behind Wahoo stadium. I kept catching little bait stealers all morning and afternoon.

Maybe try the other side of Sykes on my next opportunity this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts