Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out here about 530. Set up and yakked out 6/0 with whole bluefish and then yakked out a piece of ray on my penn fierce 8000. Not as far but further then casting distance.

about 6:25 my fierce is going off. Took lots of line. After about 30 mins I landed a 7' sandbar. Big and healthy looking male. He worked me pretty good.

Ill try and post the pic.

now waiting on 6/0 to go off

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive caught a good amount of sharks on fierce, but this shark was a beast for that rod/reel. Only thing is its windy and chilly. Im about to go back to my infantry days and start spooning with my buddy.

lets hope a big one wants a bluefish!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Yeah we were out last night and it got brutal cold in the wee hours of the night! And those sandbars certainly do fight! Dude we were fishing with last night got spooled by one! His knot held though and they pulled the line in by hand until they had enough line on the reel to fight him!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ive caught a good amount of sharks on fierce, but this shark was a beast for that rod/reel. Only thing is its windy and chilly. Im about to go back to my infantry days and start spooning with my buddy.

"No such thing as a fag in the field when it is cold out!" Is what my PSG told me during Desert Storm.

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts

bundle up, stay dry, dig a hole, insulate it with a tarp or blanket and get in it. only way to spend the nights right now. stripping down to your underwear to run baits is also a good idea. just don't forget the life jacket.

·
Registered
679 Posts
bundle up, stay dry, dig a hole, insulate it with a tarp or blanket and get in it. only way to spend the nights right now. stripping down to your underwear to run baits is also a good idea. just don't forget the life jacket.
and then leave the hole for Nathan to fall in later:lol: Sounds like a good start Justin. LP and I wont be down to the beach until its past cold but Im hoping we skip on the spooning part!!!!
And if your gonna strip down to your undies to run bait don't wear your favorite cheetah thong. I wont make that mistake again:blink:
Good Luck tonight! UGLY

·
Kenneth
892 Posts
spinning gear for sharks

Fantastic! I have been wanting to get a spinning reel for sharks! Figured it would be a lot of fun!
I've been using a Penn 10500 SSV on a 9ft rod. It's a whole different feel. The 105 might be a bit overkill though, I just saw it and really had to have one lol

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Called it a night. We got that one sandbar and a bull red about 40+ inches. Spot where we go has producing big bull reds lately. Caught about 7 in last couple days. All about 40"+.

Packed it in about 1145. Im still getting use to kayak. Kayaking im fine with, its the pitch black ocean that terrifies me. Its one of my biggest fears is being stranded or floating in the dark ocean. I kayaked both baits in daytime no problem, its the damn dark night. Ill have to get over this fear...and only one way.

Its amazing how much larger shark you can catch by yakking bait out. Im use to casting my penn fierce and getting my largest at 5'4" or so. But tonight I yakked out my surf rod probably 100-150 id say and caught that big boy. Amazing in the quality of shark just a little further out.

no hits on the 6/0. I reeled it in and blue looked like it was eaten by piranhas. Just my luck, I drop it in a damn crab hole..

hey ugly...too late to pitch in my $1?? Jp. Ill pitch in next time

1 - 20 of 42 Posts