Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made it back over to Pensacola Beach for a few days. Got to fish Sunday thru Wednesday morning. Sunday morning brought a beautiful sunrise over the Lake of Mexico. The surf was like glass and i had no luck on the fish except an occasional ladyfish or hardhead.

Monday morning was much of the same with a north wind the surf was still very calm. Fishing was much the same with some ladys and hardheads. Although the fishing was slow it was another beautiful day on the beach so i couldnt complain.

Tuesday morning brought an ESE wind and we started to get some chop and wave action. Even with that the morning was still nothing but trash fish. I got back out that evening around 5 for the last couple hours of light and within the first five minutes finally got what i was after...17 inch pompano!! I didnt catch any more pomps that evening but did catch a couple nice bluefish in the 17 -20 inch range.

Wednesday morning I was able to fish until 9. I was able to catch another pomp that barely met the minimum, but was legal and three more decent bluefish. Then about 830...I look up and my 10 footer is dang near coming out of the spike. As soon as i pick up the rod the drag starts screaming and the fight is on! After a few minutes i finally get the hog up on the beach! I didnt get a tape or weight but was a hog bull red!!

So after a slow start...the trip turned out to be a success!

Attachments

·
Helo Driver
131 Posts
Great report, and some outstanding pics! I'm a transplant from Jersey (obvious I know) but I'm rapidly trading in my yankee blue for Southern Gray. One thing I think is great about the fishermen down here, you all (oops) y'all definitely appreciate the blues! They're one of my favorite fish to catch, but too many people up north look at them as a nuisance that they catch while looking for striped bass or flounder. It's nice to see that they get some credit down here like they deserve, and at that size there are few better eating fish (especially when smoked!!). They were what I learned on, catching snapper blues when I wasn't much bigger than that little angler next to you, and I still love catching them. Thanks to you all and keep up the good work!
Go Devils!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Yeah i was glad my fishing partner was there to see the bull red. He usually inflates my ego by telling me all my fish were "big, big fish!' even when they are little 10 inch whiting. But when he saw that bull red he was like "dada that really is a big, big fish!!"

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great report, and some outstanding pics! I'm a transplant from Jersey (obvious I know) but I'm rapidly trading in my yankee blue for Southern Gray. One thing I think is great about the fishermen down here, you all (oops) y'all definitely appreciate the blues! They're one of my favorite fish to catch, but too many people up north look at them as a nuisance that they catch while looking for striped bass or flounder. It's nice to see that they get some credit down here like they deserve, and at that size there are few better eating fish (especially when smoked!!). They were what I learned on, catching snapper blues when I wasn't much bigger than that little angler next to you, and I still love catching them. Thanks to you all and keep up the good work!
Go Devils!
Hey JerseyDevil i lived in North Carolina for four years although at that point in my life i wasnt very interested in surf fishing or any fishing really. I lived and breathed deer and turkey hunting and still do to this day, but when we moved backed down to LA i had to get back into fishing. Ive always heard mixed emotions about eating bluefish so it was inevitable that i snagged a few blues and gave them a go for myself. I found it to be pretty good in my opinion. I have come to find that i would rather eat it fresh the day of the catch though..so normally i catch bluefish and eat that day if possible. If thats not possible then lately i will keep a few and use or cut/freeze for bait.

Heck u never know what you will like until u try it...hell my paw in law doesnt like pompano?!?! thats my favorite...everybodys different. By the way welcome to the south!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts