Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to fishing. Been surf fishing once. let me tell ya, went through the golden gates and surf fishing was there!

loaded up on the essentials at Gander on Wednesday hoping to hit Fort Pickens this morning. any red tide news?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can't help with Ft Pickens but I fished the sound in Navarre at the bridge and it was in good shape. Plenty of bait, Spanish busting at sundown and I heard of good reds, trout and flounder being caught.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did not go out last Sunday. Truth is, too, i've only fished on this side ofFort Pickens proper. Gulf side across the road from the Bay's artificial reef.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seems to be all clear. Fished today down by Chicken Bone and the only thing dead was a pile of hard heads someone left under the boardwalk.....thanks???
Not much action. Tried it all- squid, live shrimp, peeled shrimp, gulp shrimp, sand fleas, frozen finger mullet, and pompano jigs. Tally was 6 or 7 small whiting, 2 small rays, 2 large rays, 2 hard heads, and a nice (to me) shark maybe 10 lbs that my buddy landed. Got cut off 3 times and of course when the wire leader finally made an appearance no more bites. Weather was great but nothing worth keeping. As always, nice to just be out and got to try out my new surf rods.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Braved the "cold" and hit the surf today. Was going to go out to Ft Pickens but could not justify the $15 price tag. You would think that they would allow a discounted one day pass instead of forcing the 3 days for $15 on you. Went to Chicken Bone again and the bite was slow, some decent size whiting, lots of rays (maybe they are called skates?), one undersized pompano, one bull red that spit the hook at the last minute and one keeper red on fresh peeled dead shrimp. 20151109_135559.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whoa...beautiful!
great way to spend a day, eh? woulda loved to have joined you, man.

am I right to say bay scallops are made from Skate? looks like google time!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the funniest response to "are bay scallops ray wings?"

However, Peter Benchley is probably responsible for MUCH of the concern that sea scallops in restaurants aren't really scallops. In his novel "Jaws," Matt Hooper is having lunch with Chief Brody's wife (they're having an affair), and Hooper agonizes over the menu. He WANTS to order scallops, but he tells Mrs. Brody, confidentially, that most restaurants don't serve real scallops, that most just take flounder and cut it up to look like scallops. Finally, he orders the scallops, takes one bite, and says, "I knew it. Flounder cut up with a cookie cutter."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts