Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my buddy Jeremy(reelndrag) decided it was about time to try out my newly rigged up jetskis and see if we might could catch a couple snapper before the season ends

We got out to shoreline early and got to see a nice show until we got some pinfish :brows:

Headed out to a few spots that we had marked on our phone GPS but with no bottom machine it made it extremely difficult to make sure we were staying on target. The first fish was the 29" grouper it took a free lined menhaden on the top. After measuring it and Jeremy going back to that spot I hooked a roughly 3' shark (that I have no idea what kind it was, grey with white spots) so it was let go. Fished for a couple more hours trying to catch Spanish in the huge schools that were busting everywhere but the jetski motors scared the bait so we couldn't sneak up on them, we just had to bust up in the middle and had to start rapidly casting- only caught one, ended getting broke/cut off 5 times. Also managed to catch one barely legal snapper on another bottom spot

The coolest thing happened to me today though, while reeling in the Spanish a dolphin came right up to me and was just staring at me and talking to me wanting me to feed him. He stayed there staring at me long enough that it kinda freaked me out and I was scared it was going to knock me off to take my fish :)
Awesome!!!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Great job guys! That looks like alot of fun. I met you at the boat ramp my son was catching all the pin fish off the dock while you was throwing castnet

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was a lot of fun, but I have to fix my holder for my 75qt cooler. On the way in when it was pretty rough we almost lost all the fish and rods because the rack slipped, loosened the strap and almost slid off the back. I think I'm going to try and make something a little more permanent to support all the bouncing around and stuff

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
If you haven't caught up with him, you might find some interesting pointers from Brian, aka JetSkiBrian out of Poquosin, Virginia. He's a fisherman and major jet ski enthusiast, he probably could give you tips on jet ski rigs for fishing, including sonar setups. He's pretty much done it all. You can check out his website at jetskibrian.com or log onto NCAngler.com forums and look for posts by JetSkiBrian. He takes some really impressive photographs as well.

Nice fish!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yea seen his site and yes he has it goin on for sure! That guy def has the $ and the imagination to make it work! I'll have to check out that forum and follow him for sure.. thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is a lane snapper right? If so its well over the 8" minimum. That's really all I seem to catch in the bay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, for some reason I thought the spot located towards the rear of the fish indicated lane or mahogany snapper... I feel stupid for asking now

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Oh, for some reason I thought the spot located towards the rear of the fish indicated lane or mahogany snapper... I feel stupid for asking now
Juvenile red snapper have them too. Don't feel stupid, simple mistake. Lane snapper will have yellow markings that are pretty obvious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts