Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of yall been waked by the Pensacola Bay ferries? I get waked pretty good by them and im curious if the wake is bad everywhere or just when they pass by me. My brother in law says the wake is horrible if you anchor out anywhere near the terminal in quiet water. Makes me not want to use my boat near where they are.

Anyone else been waked by the ferries?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
When the ferries throw a big wake that interferes with your ability to safely operate your vessel, please take photos and/or video and text them or email them to FWC.

From myfwc.com: "You can report suspected boating or wildlife law violations of any type through the statewide, toll-free, 24-hour Wildlife Alert hotline at 1-888-404-FWCC (1-888-404-3922). You can find more information by visiting our Wildlife Alert page or you can also text [email protected]. "

I've used this before, and they will contact you.

The only way to get them to safely operate the ferries is to complain to law enforcement.

·
Registered
10,657 Posts
Those things and the jack asses who pilot them should be sunk for reefs. I have a spot I like to fish and those asshats come within 100 yards running full steam ahead. I blasted the air horn last year and got their attention to shut down amd listen to me cuss them for what they are. I have not had a closer encounter than about 500 yards since

·
Registered
397 Posts
Last year we were waked by one that tossed us around so bad that I lost my seat - face planted into the rail giving myself a huge lump and sweet black eye for a week. It was awesome, I just wish I had it on video.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Maybe you can complain to the Ferry God Mother? Nah, FWC is the place to complain. Won't help but you will feel better. i'm with Tryn. They are on the endangered list.

Reactions: Play'N Hooky Too

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
The last few times I've passed them or watched them pull away from the dock it looks like the crew out number the passengers. I give them till the end of the summer.:no:
Considering this is the second iteration of this wasteful endeavor, I agree, it doesn't seem like it can last.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I counted two on board when we saw them on Monday. I must also say the wake was half what it was the last time. Maybe a better driver this time.

·
Super Moderator
28,278 Posts
I was in my jon boat and got waked real good, flipped me over and lost 20K in rods/reels/tackle but what really pissed me off was my yeti cooler sank!!!:001_huh::whistling::001_huh:

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I was in my jon boat and got waked real good, flipped me over and lost 20K in rods/reels/tackle but what really pissed me off was my yeti cooler sank!!!:001_huh::whistling::001_huh:

If it wouldn't have made all that solid ice it would have floated. My RTIC only makes cubed ice so it'll float fo'eva!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Give it another year, they’ll be gone
I sure hope so. So what kind of restaurant do yall think will go in the downtown ferry "terminal" when the ferries fail. Im thinking a pizza joint would be nice. you can even have waterfront dining on the dock. lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When the ferries throw a big wake that interferes with your ability to safely operate your vessel, please take photos and/or video and text them or email them to FWC.

From myfwc.com: "You can report suspected boating or wildlife law violations of any type through the statewide, toll-free, 24-hour Wildlife Alert hotline at 1-888-404-FWCC (1-888-404-3922). You can find more information by visiting our Wildlife Alert page or you can also text [email protected]. "

I've used this before, and they will contact you.

The only way to get them to safely operate the ferries is to complain to law enforcement.
Yeah the problem I have is that I wasn't sitting waiting with my phone while the wake came at me. fishing with a go pro for now on. Oh well, thanks for the info. I will definitely be calling them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Maybe you can complain to the Ferry God Mother? Nah, FWC is the place to complain. Won't help but you will feel better. i'm with Tryn. They are on the endangered list.
I have called the FWC, they told me to get it on video. I did.

Last year, the ferry would come PLOWING into the dock at Flounder's and throw a 4' or so wake. Our boat was pushed into a piling because one of the lines broke - BROKE. Not pulled free, but the line broke! All of my belongings were tossed around and some of my stuff ended up in the water. I was sitting at Flounders and saw the whole thing happen.

I called the FWC, and they were like "pics or it didn't happen."

So, on Sunday I went out again and filmed the ferry plowing in. Took the time to take a video 3 times that day - all with huge wakes and boats bobbing around.

Sent the video to them.

I'm sure I'm probably not the only one complaining, but they did call me back after they received the video and asked me a lot of questions. Then, per my request, called me back and let me know that an officer had contacted the owner of the ferry.

Next week the ferries started coming in much, much more slowly and it really was much better.

The FWC can help, but it will take everyone calling with pictures and videos of the "huge" wakes.

I know one thing that ain't going to do anything to remedy the problem: complaining on here. That's for sure.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Jason did you get tangled in all the trolling lines? Its a good thing you know John B, Big John, Little john, Little Johnny, have used a porta john, and have had all that training in Jon Boat survival skills.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts