Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
I used to keep about 10 rods with Penn 345 GTI reels on them for my fishing friends and customers with out much fishing experience. They are fair sized level winders, could bottom fish with them and troll as well. The problem was that for big bottom fish you had to hammer that star drag down and it could only handle a few big fish trolling before the gears would strip out.

I got tired of having to take them to Half Hitch on a regular basis and I did put a few band aids on fingers that got caught in the level winder. I finally switched over to the TLD 30A for them. I just don't fill the spool up, that leaves some room for them to not get the thumb action right and not bind up the reel with a fish still on. This turned out to be a much better reel, the lever drag is great for bottom fishing and it holds up well for trolling. Even better is the two speed feature that in low definitely gives the angler an advantage in getting the fish up in low gear.

Kim

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
The pawl gear in my girlfriend's345GTI crapped out after 1-2 seasons of very minimal use (& yes I rinse my reels)& I've had the sameissues w/the 330GTIs too. NowI just yell at everyone until they get it right. I hate levelwind reels for Bottomfishing/Trolling, but I know guys that love those Tekotas. I think the best reel for the money is the Daiwa Saltist 50 & I agree the Sealines are much better than the Senators...

21 - 22 of 22 Posts