Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I want to buy the right reel - please help

I need to be able to surf fish for reds/specks/pompano/blues/small to med sharks. At the same time, I need to take it off my surf rod and put it on a heavier/shorter rod for going after kings and spanish. Can anybody help?

My first thought was a Penn 850 or 950, but I'm worried that they've dropped off in quality since the outsourcing to China. Let me know what you think?

Other thoughts - Saltist

·
Registered
897 Posts
I recently bought a Saltist conventional for the beach and have loved it. It is much more forgiving than the Sealines I have and a lot more sturdy. If you are talking spinning reel you can't go wrong an Emcast Plus. I got a great deal on one at Half Hitch in Destin and have loved it. The first time I cast it I was shocked at how far I was able to get that 4oz weight out there without even trying. With a north wind behind me I have been able to get it out well over 150 yards and 100 yards is easy without much effort.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
almost my entire collection is penn. however if you ask most on here you find they prefer shimano.

my reels work fine with regular maintence, however shimano owners claim their reels work very smooth with practicallyzero maintence.

my next purchase will be a shimano so i can see for myself.

ask capt. byrd (litecatch)what he thinks about penn.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I use a Penn 750 SSm on my surf rod and also use it on my king rod.I have had no problems with any of my Penns so far.But I do regular maintainance on them and I am sure that is a key factor.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There have been plenty of rumors about the quality control on Penn products since the outsourcing began. Yes, it sucks they are no longer made in USA but what is these days. Where is Shimano made?(China?). I have both Shimano and penn reels. I do agree Shimano takes less servicing. I have a Penn 850ss for mycobia rod and I've liked it. I like the full metal bodies vs. the plastic ones. Too bad Gulf Breeze tackle ended their 25% off sale. I purchased alot from them when that was going on and saved a ton. Good Luck choosing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts