Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I want to buy the right reel - please help

I need to be able to surf fish for reds/specks/pompano/blues/small to med sharks. At the same time, I need to take it off my surf rod and put it on a heavier/shorter rod for going after kings and spanish. Can anybody help?

My first thought was a Penn 850 or 950, but I'm worried that they've dropped off in quality since the outsourcing to China. Let me know what you think?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
From once owning a Penn 9500ss, I can tell you that its a bit much for the surf fishing. But I was told by my friend of mine that owned the Grady White we went on that the 9500 will develop line twist while trolling with it. He was right, and I'm not sure if there could've been something I could've done to eliminate the line twisting, but it happened. None of the conventional reels developed the line twist though. Hope this helps, not really sure what options there may be for you. I do know the 7500ss's worked great when we got into a school of Mahi!

Chris

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would recomend the 850. I have two of them and they are great. We use them for pretty much everything(snapper/kings/even jigging for BFT). Caught a 40lb wahoo trolling with it last year with no problem.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There have been plenty of rumors about the quality control on Penn products since the outsourcing began. Yes, it sucks they are no longer made in USA but what is these days. Where is Shimano made?(China?). I have both Shimano and penn reels. I do agree Shimano takes less servicing. I have a Penn 850ss for mycobia rod and I've liked it. I like the full metal bodies vs. the plastic ones. Too bad Gulf Breeze tackle ended their 25% off sale. I purchased alot from them when that was going on and saved a ton. Good Luck choosing.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Penn used to be the standard that all other reels were measured by. But not any more and since they are being produced in China for the most part the parts aren't holding up as well. For me the Shimano line is heads down a better choice. Daiwa even makes some great reels.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I use a 6500SS, 7500SS and 8500SS for surf fishing and highly recommend the "made in USA" models. I had a brand new 8500SS for sale but it's promised to Turbow. We are just trying to work out logistics right now.

I see that there is another 8500SS for sale on here. Check that one out.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">I have 4 Penn 850s on Key Largo Cobia/Kingfisher rods and they are great for an all-around set-up.

·
Registered
289 Posts
i fish alot and will let u know that the ss or zpenn spinning reels are great for all a round fishing from shore or boat they r easy to take care and will last a lifetime:usaflag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts