Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a new spinning combo and just curious what you guys think about the Penn Captiva or something comparable...my max i have to spend is about 60-80 for a combo. Otherwise I would probably try and get a shimano since alot of people on here rave about them (but ive never used one)

thank for your input guys..and girls

Mike

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Mike.. Captivas seem like a pretty good reel... I have one of the silver 5000V series and it's still kicking. I did get a smaller Penn... 450 and I REALLY -REALLY like that one best! I put braid on it and casts wayyyyy out there. :clap

·
Registered
782 Posts
you might consider a pflueger president combo. works perfect, very smooth. the chrome will start flaking off the handles in about three months. handles are 6.00 each if you worry about such. they still remain very smooth reels.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply pam...and whipper I had a 260 slammer but it got stolen..trying to replace.

Ill look into the 450.

Mike

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
The silver ones Pam is talking about is the silverado, and I have two of them.....both work great for the $$. I rinse them after each use and have had no problems at all. They cast smooth and reel fast. I've fished wit the captiva's before and it had a bit of a wobble to it.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Make sure you rinse it when you get done, because they will freeze up.

Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would suggest shimano Sojurn 7' medium action 1 piece rod with a either Sedona 4000 or sahara 4000. Or any of the Okuma Epixor reels, they are very cost efficient. The Schimitar 7' medium action rods are great too and still very cost efficient. Also the Hurricane Calico Jack rods are also great, they are off the same blank as the red bone rods are. If you prefer Penn stay away from the captivas and stick with the silverado's or ssg's.

Good luck!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have 2 of the captivas and if I had it to do all over again, I would go with a different reel. They tend to wrap line around the drag knob and backlash terribly. I've never had a spinning reel in my life backlash, but I swear this one will do it. I think it's because of all the line twist it causes. I've got one spooled with braid and one with mono. A buddy of mine had one and it got to where the anti-reverse quit working. The reviews on them from Cabelas are all terrible also (found that out after I bought mine!) Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
913 Posts
Like said above I would look at the Sahara I have a few of them and they are a good reel for the money very smooth drag. I have had one of mine for 5 years and it has been through some serious shit and is still smooth like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ill check into them and see if i can swing one...seems like alot of people swear by the shimano's

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Shimano is the only way to go. Penns aren't even good enough to make an anchor out of.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
We have 3 Captivas.. 2000 for bait catching, then a4000 and a 6000.Good reels - very smooth and dependable. I'd recommend them for anyone on a budget.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
oh, and I'll also tell you this - the 4000 Captiva of oursaccidentally got throw out of the boat last Spring and went floating down into the salty Gulf..Scott was able to scoop it up in time...The next day Scott left for overseas andIsat therod and reelin the shedand I completely forgot to clean it up.. For 5 monthsit was locked up, wouldn't turn,and saltwaterfied. Last weekwe finallytook it apart, put penn oiland cleaner on it and nowthe reelstill works good as new!! You would have noidea that it had taken a saltwater bath 5 months ago.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have been selling fishing tackle for quite some time, and I feel that even the low end shimano AX,FX,IX series are better than the Captiva. Even though you can only go up to a 4000 series model in those lines, but they will still catch just as many fish as the Penn. Penn is just not made like they use to be. The company has been bought and re-sold a couple of times and the quality has shown. If you are on a budget I still suggest Shimano first,Okuma second and Penn third.

Good Luck

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a captiva and havent had a problem with it but I do suggest you take a look at Okuma spinning reels. Ive been fishing them for years and if they continue with their quality, I will be fishing them for many many more to come. In terms of price to quality I honestly dont think you can beat them. Depending on what you are using them for I would check the following Okuma models: Avenger, Salina, Aveon, or Epixor. Hope we were able to help.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts