Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always fished wal mart types of rod and reels, but now I am trying to step it up a notch, I bought a Penn 360 Slammer reel and just a generic graphite rod from Half Hitch here in Navarre a month or so ago (Thanks Dwayne). It is a great set up for slot reds and other fish around that size, but I wanted to get something a little bigger now that I am targeting big bull reds and small sharks (4ft or so). After losing two jobs this year didn't have a whole lot of money to spend so I just bought a Penn Captiva 6000 along with a Penn Captiva 701 H rod today, again form Half Hitch (Thanks Dwayne). Just wanted to get others oppinions on the captiva line, I know it is bottom of the line Penn, but my logic was it is a step up from Wal Mart. So what do you think of them.

·
2019 Hobie outback
2,675 Posts
my biddy has had one for about 2 or 3 months the spring on the anti-reverse broke and i had to strecth it out and rehook it. but other than that it seems like a strong reel. just keep it clean!

·
Registered
441 Posts
You have not seen wind knots until you buy a captiva. Braid, mono, doesn't matter. I bought 2 and had nothing but problems from them from the start. The gears locked up in one even though I cleaned it and serviced it, and the other lost the anti-reverse feature. I would spend the few extra dollars and go for the Z series or a better made reel. You will be much happier in the long run. Look up the product reviews on Cabelas or Bass Pro. I can't remember which one still sells them, but almost all the reviews were bad. Wish I had known that before I bought them!

Bob

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I told you What I thought about it!!!!! You should have Listened and Got the Other Combo!!! I know your short on funds but 30 dollars More and you would Have a Better Combo,, See You Tomorrow Night!!!! be there around 6pm, or sooner

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
I know a guy that bought 2 and took them back a couple days later broke. Shimano is the way to go, widevariety of prices to accomodate every budget. Maybe yours will fair better.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
CCC (10/27/2009)What ever, I figure the wally world's have been doing fine, so this will do at least that good. And I will get my FIRST EVER BULL ON IT !AND POST PICTS !!!!!!! :moon
Well I guess we will Just see Who out Fish,s who Tomorrow Night!!!:moon:toast

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My opinion on Captivas: They are not THAT bad overall....we had 3 at one time, 2 went in the drink, 1was recoveredand with some Salt-X soaking & a good cleaning ithasbeenrunning like normal, and anotherwe still use after 3 or 4 years of having it. One did have its gears ripped by an AJ 2 years ago but it was fixed and has been fine ever since. I use a smaller one inshore, and thebig one isforlikefun fishing Spanish, Bonita, Kings, Cudas,etc.Here's a complaint - the handle gets so slippery that we wrapped the big onewith a grip material like for tennis racket handles.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thebase (where it attaches to the rod) snapped on mine about the third time I used it......really cheap pot metal. It almost fell in the bay! That gives me real doubts about the rest of the reel.

:boo

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'm not a fan myself. Like others have said....a friend owned one and it broke within a week. He took it back and got something else.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Son bought me one ,it broke the 3rd time fishing for Reds.He got it from Wall Marts for A present .When I brought it back they said they dont take them back as well as any Penn Reel.So it sits in my pile of ---T to remind not to buy a reel from Wall Mart or a Pen Captiva Again. The Lady said I have to have the receipt to exchange it but they would not take it back even if I had receipt because its a Penn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts