Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old made in the USA Penn 750 w/ an extra spool off of Ebay ($70 good deal). The reel looks great, and functionally it's still in great shape. However, when I reel it in, the spoolrubs a little as it gets to bottom of itsdown stroke. I can't quite figure out where it's rubbing, but it makes a metallic clingevery time.One spool seems to rub a little more than the other. Has anyone had any problems like this on Penn's?Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
If it is rubbing it should be leaving a mark on the body of the reel somewhere or on the spool. If it is at the bottom of the cycle, it could be that there is a slight amount of play in the "worm" gear that causes it to make a sound at the pointthat the spool changes direction. I've never noticed a similar problem with any ofthe ones that I have but these are two things I would check.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Make sure the spacer washer is on the shaft under the spool. It is usually a white teflon washer although it my be a carbon washer now. Another thing to look at is the spool clicker. The screw that holds the clicker may have loosened some. If neither one of those is the problem hold the spool and see if you can move it up and down. If there is a lot of play the screws that hold the oscillating slide have worked loose. One other thing to check is the hex nut that holds the rotating head. They come loose pretty regularly on the Penns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts