Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WANTED ALIVE:
I'm thinking I want a 14/0 penn reel. Notice the word "thinking" lol.
I may settle for a 10 or 12/0.
Maybe a 9/0 but thinking it's a touch too low on yardage?

Not wanting the graphite models, it's gotta have an all stainless/chrome spool/drum.
A nice solid rod with it would be a plus.

Also might be needing a solid roller rod around 80 - 120# class if you got an old one you
aren't needing or want out of the way.

I could do cash, ar or whatever, so lemme know
SRC

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
WANTED ALIVE:
I'm thinking I want a 14/0 penn reel. Notice the word "thinking" lol.
I may settle for a 10 or 12/0.
Maybe a 9/0 but thinking it's a touch too low on yardage?

Not wanting the graphite models, it's gotta have an all stainless/chrome spool/drum.
A nice solid rod with it would be a plus.

Also might be needing a solid roller rod around 80 - 120# class if you got an old one you
aren't needing or want out of the way.

I could do cash, ar or whatever, so lemme know
SRC
What you trying to do with this ?

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I have a 9/0 with custom rod . Both have NEVER been used .. Rod made by Harvey Holloman Destin Fishing years ago and has been sitting in my house
I started cleaning out my collection as the 50 W and rod are spoken for.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those old senators gear ratio sucks.Hard to keep up with a tuna and deep drop No! Unless you only want to drop 1 or 2 times
Yeah you're right, wish they'd made 'em with a higher gear ratios in those size.
Thinking to add an electric motor to one if I start the deep dropping, don't wanna crank all day.

I have a 9/0 with custom rod . Both have NEVER been used .. Rod made by Harvey Holloman Destin Fishing years ago and has been sitting in my house
I started cleaning out my collection as the 50 W and rod are spoken for.
Not my 1st pick, but you never know. You got any pics of it?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay jW, What reel would you suggest for the 4 needs listed ?
I was looking at a Daiwa 900h. Whatcha think on it?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Yeah you're right, wish they'd made 'em with a higher gear ratios in those size.
Thinking to add an electric motor to one if I start the deep dropping, don't wanna crank all day.

Not my 1st pick, but you never know. You got any pics of it?
it's easy to mount one of those fishwinches on a senator. fishwinch recently stepped up to a 2.0 which cranks in more ft/min. than the older model. i got a penn 4/0 113h (80# braid loaded) on an 80# bent butt with a fishwinch 2.0 and it keeps up with a tanacom 1000.
jack

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a penn 114h 6/0 right now, roller rod. But I get tired of chasing down bigger fish when they run and can't get their heads turned. I have to bring up all other lines, trolling motor and chase it down to re-coup line. I f I get a 10-12-14/0, I can stay on my spot and let whomever fight the runner.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
it's easy to mount one of those fishwinches on a senator. fishwinch recently stepped up to a 2.0 which cranks in more ft/min. than the older model. i got a penn 4/0 113h (80# braid loaded) on an 80# bent butt with a fishwinch 2.0 and it keeps up with a tanacom 1000.
jack
The line counter on the tanacoms sure are useful thought

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Okay jW, What reel would you suggest for the 4 needs listed ?
I was looking at a Daiwa 900h. Whatcha think on it?
I don’t know I have old international’s and tanacoms for the electrics sure there are a lot better stuff than what I have

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I add a larger "Power Handle", that ought to increase the speed ratio maybe up to 3:1 maybe.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That 2.0 is only 379. and will do 6/0 and 9/0. But I'm still leaning toward a 14/0 with a power handle.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I located a 14 w/130# roller rod for 650, but no power handle.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
somebody on here posted that they had replaced a handle with a powerhandle. can't remember.
keith (ocean master) might have one.
jack

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
okay I'll check with him on it, if I do get that 14/0 ?

Hoping someone around closer has one they want to get out of their way

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Remember the bigger the heavier they are. Have you ever fished with a 12/0 all day? Example; I fished with my last 130 pen years ago. They were originally made for blue fin tuna. The 130 are for tourist in Hawaii. Caught all marlin we needed on 50W after that plus yellowfin, So be sure you know what you really need and want Just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 28 Posts