Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Vehicle Year: 2018, Make: Mazda, Model: 2018 Mazda CX-9.
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been fishing reservoirs with conventional tackle out of a pedal drive kayak for about the last month, and so far the pedals are far superior to paddling for this application. I do have two questions for situations I haven’t fished yet:

1) When fishing rivers, do you still use the pedal drive or am I better off using my paddle? I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone use a pedal drive while river fishing.

2) For those that fly fish, how tangled up does your fly line get in the pedal drive? Is it to the point I’d be better off leaving the pedal drive at home if I’m bringing a fly rod?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Depends how deep the rivers are that you intend to fish. I have used my Hobie in several rivers and had no issues in some and one in particular was a pain because the water was low and I was constantly hitting the bottom with my pedals. I ended up pulling the drive out and using my paddle.

I also tried a few times to fly fish from my yak but gave that up too. I found it hard to manage the line while sitting. If I could stand up it might be different.

~JOE~

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have fly fished from both peddle and paddle/Hobie.

I don't think I get tangled any more in one over the other. Most of the time when I retrieve line, I let it list on the water heater the boat or in my lap. I try to not have a bunch of line laying around that isn't needed. What isn't being used gets reeled back up into the reel.

I also fish with a Tenkara rod a fair amount. No extra line or reel to fiddle with. I have cut sections of old fly line to use if I needed a little help tossing a wind resistant popper. Sling shot/bow and arrow casts also work in closer cover. Hooks need to be sharp though as the Tenkara rod is pretty limber in the tip and hook sets may not have the same thump as with a conventional fly rod.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts
I use peddles and keep the bow pointed in the current. It's much easier than trying to paddle.

When you're fly fishing (Outback or Pro Angler) take a beach towel and lay it over the peddles and rails. When you strip your line, it is piles all over the towel and keeps from hanging on to everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts