Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered an AirForce Texan SS .457 cal air gun. 3000 psi and 900 fps with 300 grain loads. My .357 Benjamin Bullpup is fine for doe control, but dammit.... we got hogs. This bad boy will sling a 458 grain load at 800 fps and 700+/- foot lbs of energy. And it's supressed. Should get it in this week for the weekend planting/sight-in session.
Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
I have questions too, lol. I have watched the air riffle show on outdoor channel, seen quite a few shots off 1 charge with little fall off. Atleast 8 or 10.

My question is, how do you fill it, does it loose pressure just sitting, Say for an all day hunt?

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How many shots do you get on one tank?
Does the velocity fall off with the tank pressure as it gets lower?
From my personal experiences:
-- my .22 cal PCP filled to 3000 psi will shoot about 30 times before the velocity drops significantly. Tiny pellet with a puff of air. Makes the noise of a hand clap. Squirrels hate it.
-- my .357 filled to 3000 psi will shoot about 7 times before noticable velocity drop. In a hunting situation (deer-sized game) I'd go no more than 3 shots before recharging. Big puff of air to move the 150 gr load. And much louder, but not even close to a muzzle-loader or big rifle. I did install a suppressor and a "de-pinger" on it to reduce the noise. Nearly zero recoil. Fun as hell to shoot.
-- the .457 Texan SS will arrive today, for testing and sight-in Saturday. The videos I've watched say that 3 shots are the max before noticable drop-off. But, should be about as quiet as the 357 Benjamin Bullpup due to the longer barrel and integrated supressor.

I refill a fireman's air tank (4500 PSI) from a small PCP compressor. I can take that tank to the field for recharging. It will recharge the .22 endless times. The .357 at least 10 times. That is, if I haven't totally drained the tanks on the air guns. The all have a pressure gauge, so I refill when the pressure hits 2500 psi.

Alabama has a special week-long primative weapons season, and air rifles are included. I'll keep ya'll posted!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a Sam Yang that shoots .457 and it just bout mirrors what HJorgan states in his response. The pressure stays in my gun for more than a week till it hits 2500.I dont recall exactly how long as its been awhile since I checked that. 2500 is when I refill as well when shooting .This can be done with a special handpump or I also use a tank but its a dive tank.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I need to build me an armadillo extractor. One corner of my yard looks like somebody pulled a breaking plow through it. I May look into one of these.
I have converted several dillos to dirt with my .22 PCP. Neighbors never woke up.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The good thing also is that with air rifles you dont need any atf involvement to suppress them . No tax stamp required. And my Yang is pretty loud like a .38 revolver being fired.
yeah my .22 is supressed out of the box. The .357 has an add-on supresso
That’s probably a better option.
What would I be looking at on price to get a .22 PCP?
The air rifle is about 250 bucks. The PCP pump is about 400. The tank (I got mine off ebay) for 50 bucks. But if I was after just dillers or squirrels I'd probably do a Gamo single-cock .177 PCP is a hunting style. I've vowed not to shoot a deer or hog with a powder rifle this year. I need 6 doe to make a year of meat.

Reactions: JoeyWelch

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK quick update. Took a bit but got the Texan dialed in. This air rifle is no joke. Still have some work to do getting a feel for the design, but as of now am satisfied with the down-range performance. I do know the .405 gr solid will go thru a 4x4 post.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally found the round it likes. 350 grain hollow point. Shot a quarter sized 3-shot group at 40 yards. This weekend I hope to stretch it out to 150 yards. That’s my outside range.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts