Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just copied this from GCKFA.... EVERYONE NEEDS TO EMAIL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES......

November 28, 2007

Dear BoatUS Member,

Your voice counts! And we need it to make sure the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 is passed quickly. Without this federal legislation you will need to apply and pay for a discharge permit to legally operate each of your boats, starting September 30, 2008.

Please take a few minutes and contact your one Representative and two Senators, even if you have already done so. We need them to support and co-sponsor "The Recreational Boating Act of 2007" (House Bill #2550 and Senate Bill #2067).

BoatUS has been working with other boating groups to pass this legislation which will eliminate (for recreational boats only) the new court-imposed EPA permit. We know that boating depends on clean water and healthy natural resources. However, a boat permit will not create a tangible environmental benefit, and it will be another inconvenience and tax for you.

It is important to note that all current environmental restrictions on the overboard discharge of oil, fuel, garbage, and sewage still stand, and will not be altered by this legislation.

Help boating by contacting your Representative and Senators:

Ask that they co-sponsor and support House Bill #2550 and Senate Bill #2067 which reinstate the common sense discharge permit exemption for recreational boats.

Help them understand the looming permit deadline of 9/30/08.

If one of your Members of Congress is co-sponsoring the bill, please say thanks!

Click here to see co-sponsors for the House Bill

The 10 co-sponsors on the Senate Bill are: Martinez (FL), Bunning (KY), Chambliss (GA), Dole and Burr (NC), Isakson (GA), Sessions (AL), Cornyn and Hutchison (TX), and Lott (MS).

Click here to email your Representative Use your 9 digit zip code:

Click here to email or call your Senators

Click here to read the House bill text

Click here to read the Senate bill text

For background information:

www.boatus.com/gov/fed_alert.asp

Click Here to pass this email on to boating and fishing friends, clubs, and marinas.

Thanks for adding your voice to this critical boating issue.

Margaret Podlich
Vice President, Government Affairs
BoatUS
[email protected]
703-461-2878 x8363

P.S. We know that we are asking you to take several steps to email your Members of Congress, and we hope that you'll persevere through it. Santa has promised us new grassroots software that will make articulating and contacting your Representatives and Senators easier in the New Year!

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,994 Posts
Copied from Boat US web site about EPA regs......

"Unless there is a change in the court decision, or legislation is passed, this permit system will require that boaters in the U.S. apply and pay for a discharge permit for each of their boats to operate after September 30, 2007."

Looks like something already happened?????????

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looks like another revenue stream for the Government to spend on something else, probably going to tell us that they are investing in Boat Ramps. :banghead

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well... in the original post... it states the date as...

"Help them understand the looming permit deadline of 9/30/08."

I need to emailand ask them if it only pertains toboats... or if it's for all personal crafts...?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Has anyone seen the amount of the proposed permits? Last I read I'm thinking it was in the thousands, not the hundreds...

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think it's for any vessel that has a bilge pump and as I mentioned I think the permits cost in the thousands of dollars...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cool, I was hoping I had that completely wrong. The BoatUS peeps are sending the emails out. They had a big info blitz on the reason for the permits being tied to big ships bilging out micro-organisms and foreign species and such.They were saying the new reg would apply torecreational craft as well. EPA, I think. I blew it off last year as being outlandish. They were saying it would be two or three thousand bones per permit, oof.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Here is a copy of a response which I received from Senator Martinez after e-mailing him a "thank you" for supporting legislation which will exempt recreational boaters from the discharge crap!!

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Arial Black','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font: minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial Black'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Dear Mr. Hartley:

Thank you for contacting me with your support for the Recreational Boating Act. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to take this opportunity to inform you of my sponsorship of this important legislation in the United States Senate.

On September 18, 2007, I introduced the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (S. 2067) to exempt recreational boat owners from having to go through the onerous Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) permitting process to secure a Clean Water Act permit for the normal operation of their boats. On May 24, 2007, Representative Gene Taylor (D-MS-4) introduced the Recreational Boating Act of 2007 (H.R. 2550) in the United State House of Representatives.

This legislation would exempt any deck runoff, engine cooling water, gray water, bilge water or any other incidental discharge from existing dumping regulations so long as it was effluent from properly functioning recreational marine engines. Requiring family boaters to secure a Clean Water Act permit so that they can wash their boat, fish or go waterskiing is unnecessary. Furthermore, it will be exceedingly costly and essentially unenforceable given the huge manpower needed at the EPA to manage the permitting workload of over 1 million recreational boats in the state of Florida alone.

As an avid outdoorsman and fisherman, I appreciate the value of our state?s biodiversity and natural heritage, and consider it important that we fight to protect it. When making decisions affecting our waterways and oceans, we must strive to strike a balance and make policy that is grounded in sound science. S. 2067 was referred to the United States Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works where it awaits further consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
United States Senator

**Note: PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL. If you would like to reply to this message, please contact me through my website at http://martinez.senate.gov.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts