Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today started off much like the last two days. Rods in the water at 7, skipjacks on the lines about 7:01. Finally the skips stopped around 9 but it was quiet all around. I was thinking about packing up around 11 when the first pomp hit. There was a fish trailing the hooked pomp so I knew there was at least 1 more fish out there. Sure enough, picked up 3 more that were only 11+ ish but they went home with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
VIP of the PFF
8,379 Posts
4 legal pompano beats the crap out of none ! Lol ....I've done far far worse. This year my average size went way down., don't get me wrong I still caught some nice ones , just not as many as normal. I caught more undersized pompano this spring than ever. I also caught a bunch of barely legal ones. On the bright side. ...all these little ones ought to make a good season for next year.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going to orange beach next week. Don't have a sand flea net. What's the next best bait for pomps?

Stop by J&M Tackle on Canal Road. They might have some fresh frozen fleas. If not they have sandflea rakes reasonably priced. Otherwise get some shrimp and some Fish Bites. Pink and orange will do but the orange and white sand flea flavor is what I have been using. Good luck.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The Ladyfish must have left you, and camped out in front of me. They were tearing me up all morning. I started feeding them to the heron's, I had 4 of them taking turns. Glad you at least got a few pomps.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Going to orange beach next week. Don't have a sand flea net. What's the next best bait for pomps?
You can catch them by hand.

Watch as the water from the waves runs back over the sand and you'll see the little "tails" sticking out of the sand.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any suggestions as to where to fish in Orange Beach. Expect the beach to be crowded around Sea Chase & don't want to fish there if I don't have to. Thought about under the bridge for red fish.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any suggestions as to where to fish in Orange Beach. Expect the beach to be crowded around Sea Chase & don't want to fish there if I don't have to. Thought about under the bridge for red fish.

First a disclaimer: I haven't fished OB in a couple of years so spots and conditions may have changed. Check with Grouperking on these details. Under the bridge will hold reds, sheephead and the odd black snapper. Live shrimp on a Carolina rig would be my suggestion. As far as surf fishing, go to the pier at State Park and walk the east side and look for holes. Not sure how much access you will have due to the convention center construction. I used to fish about 500 yards east of their pier. At the Pavillon in state park, head west of the lot and line yourself up with the Orange Beach water tower due north of you. Then there's the east side of the jetties in the gulf, not the pass. Fish about 100 yards west of the rocks. Lastly, forget everything I just wrote and go to Sams on Canal in OB and ask for Chris V if you want some real expert advice.
Regardless of what you decide, get out EARLY as parking and crowds will be an issue everywhere. Might even be worth picking up a trip license for FL and fishing over the line at Johnsons Beach. Good luck.

·
VIP of the PFF
8,379 Posts
I've really only been keeping up with the pompano, but if it's pompano that you seek just send me a pm. Now if its any other variety of fish you seek, definitely go see Chris V.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts