Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to take the boat out this last Saturday. Woke up at 4 and got the boat ready with Joe, stopped by Outcast and got 8 dozen shrimp. Headed out to the jetties in the pass and beached the boat. In 4 hours all we could account for was 4 Sheepshead and one Red Snapper, needless to say it was going really slow. Decided to jet over to Fort Pickens, yup same result there, really slow and didnt even get a hit, then decided to go over to the Coast Guard Station, again- nothing at all. SO we decided to bring the boat in and hit some inshore spots. First we went to the NAS pier since it was open. Caught four 5 white trout, but again it was slow. Then while I was still fishing for white trout in the middle of the boat bay WHAP WHAP WHAP on my rod I set the hook at it felt like dead weight. (thought I had a stingray) Then it went on a few good runs, after about 5 min of fighting it, it surfaced. At first i thought it was a black drum but then after Joe yelled SHEEPSHEAD!!!! i quickly relized it was a sheepie. I went through hell and high water to get that fish. I dropped down to the bottom wooden beam. For you who have fished the base you know what I am talking about. When om the bottom beam i hung my feet over the water and grabbed the line at the leader and lifted it up. The fish wasnt happy and the fin went into my fonger hitting the bone, i dropped it. still had the hook in its mouth so i grabbed it again while Joe was holding the rod from above. Then some life saver Marines were out there and lowered a bucket down to me and i put the sheepie in it and they brought it up. It as bigger than my cooler and my cooler is 21 inches long. Then after a 30 minutes of nothing we drove over to the Coast Guard Station to do some beach fishing - no bites at all. Decided to call it a day. Got to the house round 6:30 and weighed the monster Sheepie. 9 pounds. Great fight and was even better eatting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts