Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if there is a parking lot on Johnson Beach Road, or if parking is permitted on the side of the road? Google maps shows a loop at the end of the road. Looking for a good out of the way spot to launch my yak that has good beach access. And while I'm talking about beach access. Anybody found a good way to get to the water through that fine gulf sand without straining to the point of exhaustion? I build a cart that is great for hard ground or roads, but the sand sucks down those wheels like a candy bar at fat camp.

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
Take your first left after you pass the entry shack. There is parking and a kayak launch for the lagoon side. You can park on the side of the road down to the second to last boardwalk. No parking after that, just a load/unload area at the culdesac you saw on the map.

Mike

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I haven't fished from the park side yet but there are some good public beach access points along the highway. As far as getting through the sand goes you have about one option for making it easy and that is the huge balloon tires on your cart. If you have the smaller wheels for hard surfaces you are going to work almost as hard if not harder than just dragging. I don't use a cart since I either launch at boat ramps or drag through the sand and don't want to deal with breaking down a cart. I am always sucking wind when I get done going through the sand though. I look at it as a good workout

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
Check out Wheel eez brand wheels/carts. It'll give you an idea of the kind of wheels you need for sand. Those things are expensive, but I haven't regretted it. They ride along top of the sand instead of barreling through it. It really is worth the money...bout $200 for the good/big ones.

Johnson Beach. There is a big parking lot on the gulf, just inside the park, on the right. It's prolly the easiest trek to the gulf water, but it can get crowded. The rest is roadside parking to the point grouper22 mentioned.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Johnson Beach

Not to hijack the thread, but a sled beats a cart hands down. C2

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, ive seen those balloon tires. Those things are high. Definitely something I'm gonna invest in, in the future. Hey Charlie, you buy your sled or build one? I had an idea to take some old wooden water skis i have, remove the fin and attach some rollerblade wheels to it. Something that would roll across the parking lots, but would allow the sled to do it's job once i got to the sand. Any thoughts on that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts