Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We put down about 24 tons of lime on 5 acres of virgin soil in Feb/Mar. Soil test showed pH of ~4.0. Spent the last few months ripping up roots and tearing up plows, rakes and discs, but we got it done.

Edges of field planted with Tecomate Upland Bird Mix and Dove Cocaine. Center of all fields planted with Eagle Soybeans. Field around feeder planted with buckwheat.

Except for the close-up, pictures were taken from the stand:

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr22/bcbz71/Eagle Beans/DSC_0140.jpg

·
Super Moderator
29,561 Posts
Oughta produce good results.....good luck:usaflag

·
Registered
689 Posts
Just out of curiousity. How much did you pay for the beans. I was checking on them earlier in the year and it was about $90 for a 50lb bag of the wildlife managers mix and that included shipping.Keep us updated on the plot I would like to see how the beansdo.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a post I made in www.qdmaforums.com on May 10th. Unfortunately, PFF has made it harder to post pictures than other sites, but I will try to keep this updated:

2 week old Eagle soybeans. Deer are hammering the smaller fields....not sure if they will make it.

Small plots hammered...check out the stems:

They haven't been hitting these fields yet:

1 week old buckwheat:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 16 May post on www.qdmaforums.com

3 week update:

My two quarter-acre fields have been hit so hard that I don't know if they will make it. I spread 70# of Milorganite on them each and hung mothballs and Irish Spring soap from stakes in the fields. I am guesstimating 4 deer or so in each plot.

In my larger 3 acre field, the Eagles are doing well as there is more acreage and less pressure.

Deer are not touching the buckwheat in any of my plots.

3 week old buckwheat:

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">3 week old Eagles:

<span style="text-decoration: underline;">3 week old Eagles with Tecomate upland game mix:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't take many pictures today. The lease was hot and dry (but I think it got some rain after we left).

Quick update.

- What few 4wk old Eagles are left that haven't been nipped are about 6" tall and 8-10 leaves.

- Good news. Milorganite, moth balls and Irish Spring are working to keep the deer off my hammered plots. My cams are showing ZERO activity on these two plots and they smell like a septic drain field. I don't know if I was too late with the deer deterrents, but definitely a "lesson learned" for next year's Eagles.

- Bad news is that they found my larger fields and are really working on them. We have 5 acres total in Eagles on a 1200 acre lease with low deer density, but they are traveling from plot-to-plot and wiping them out. One other guy is using a PlotSaver fence, but I don't think it's working too well.

- 4 wk old buckwheat is flowering and will require turning under soon for green manure. Deer are NOT eating the buckwheat....just a few nips here and there.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my Eagle Seeds from DBW Outdoors out of GA (google it). We had to drive up to Dothan, AL to meet him to pick them up and I think we were around $85 or so for a 50# bag. One bag does about an acre via broadcast and they spread nice with a lawn fertilizer spread. We tied a homemade chain link (old kind with thick wire) drag behind the disc and covered the seed.

We innoculated the beansfor nitrogen fixing and had great germination rates. Luckily, we hadsome rain the day after we planted although not so much since then. Could have used weekly rain, but they are not showing signs of distress from lack of water. The beans that get nipped down to the stem seem to dry up and die, but if they have 4 leaves and the top two are nipped, they seem to regenerate.BTW....it doesn't take many deer to decimate a 1/4 to 1/2 acre plot. 4 deer can do it in about 5 nights or so.

Our larger plot is pushing 3 acres and today we found almost every bean nipped. Luckily, the beans were4 weeks old and stand a chance to recover. In hindsight, I would do everything possible to get the Eaglesto 6wks with no grazing pressure.Milorganite seems to bevery effective for that.....100# per acre every 3-4wks ($40 an acre). Lowe's sells it.

Also, I will not waste my money on Tecomate Upland Bird Mix next year as the deer eat every sunflower before it ever makes it 1" tall and you can definitely get sorghum and millet cheaper than Tecomate. Also, I will build my soil with buckwheat in the spring in the smaller fields and the deer will eitherhave to eat the buckwheat or wait for my winter mix --Eagles are just too expensive to put in small plots.

This fall, my winter mix will be rye (cereal grain) and clover. I will turn it under for green manure in the larger plots and let the clover grow as the summer crop.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Appreciate the follow up. I to enjoy the QDMA website. There's a lot of information on there about foodplotting. Good luck on your planting and hopefully the deterrents will do their job for ya.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Great looking fields. Thought I would share a few photos myself. These are some eagle beans planted with corn at a friends place in Camden. We planted two 10 acre fields and protected them with 7 ft. tall 5 strand electric fences. So far so good. Of couse, if we dont get any rain these fields will be toast.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10 acres in one plot is a fantasy for us as our cutovers are full of stumps. If only we had a bulldozer.....

Our plotsare hurting for water as well. We are about 4" behind inrainfallfor the year, and of course we will make it all up in a week with a tropical depression or something. :boo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.