Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to get a paddleboard for hanging out on the upper bay and in the 'cove' by our neighborhood. She really is determined that she wants a paddleboard rather than a kayak. I even wondered about the hybrid SOT semi-kayak / paddleboard designs I've seen, but she is more about the stand-up paddleboard than anything.

My son recently got his first kayak, a SOT Pelican - he really likes paddling around, fishing, and swimming. I have a canoe and will eventually get a kayak, and she wants a paddleboard.

Anyone have experiences with these things? Suggestions for brand, style, things to consider? Thanks!

Reactions: BlaineAtk

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,169 Posts
Rent one for a few hours.

It saved us a lot of money because after 30 minutes, we hated them and decided to stick to the kayaks.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We have 3, a Yolo coastal cruiser, bote 10' inflatable and a yolo 12' Hammerhead 3. The Hammerhead3 is my favorite hands down. The plastic is durable and the board is stable, and the 12' size is a great blend of balance and portability.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have two YOLO Board SUP. A Coastal Cruiser and a Eco Trainer. The Eco Trainer is 2" more narrow than the Cruiser. Both are 12' boards. The 12' boards are very stable and are great for everyday paddling. The more narrow the board the faster it will glide through the water but less stable. The fiberglass material is not user friendly around rocks. It chips and scratches very easily. Basically think of big surfboards. Both SUP that I have are fiberglass. They look beautiful but I have to be careful where I paddle if I want keep them looking good. The rotomold models (like a kayak) are more forgiving when it comes to dings and scratches. If fishing is what you are going to do then the rotomold type board would be more suitable due to the durability. BOTE and YOLO both make a fishing style board but both are high end boards. Most of the local shops have demo boards that will let you try out at no cost if you are interested in purchasing. Regardless of what you get remember to have a PFD and sound producing device with you are while paddling. The FWC looks at paddle boards as a vessel and requires a PFD and sound producing device while underway. Coastal Paddle Board in Gulf Breeze is where I bought my boards. Kevin Cook is the owner and is super guy and a wealth of information regarding paddle boards. Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!

https://myfwc.com/boating/regulations/paddleboard/

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the input. That gives me some things to chew on. I have tried to get my wife to really think about whether she would enjoy a wide stable SOT kayak more than a paddleboard, but she is convinced she wants a SUP. It's mostly for just paddling around the cove area where we live on calm days when my son is in his kayak.

Will see about some demos before buying, that sounds like sage advice. :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts