Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More work travels and trying to take advantage when I can. Got on a party boat that left Oxnard at 6AM to return 4PM and it was only $70 for two folks - no joke. They didn't provide boat rods (rentals only) but I took a travel setup and my avet MXL6/4 (left handed so I wanted mine). Boat was a little crowded but still OK and not too much tangling. Decent galley serving food, drinks and beer the whole time. They had frozen squid and massive tanks of sardines. We mostly bottom dropped with a chicken rig but there were some areas where many free-lined live bait.

Mostly new species for me which I enjoy: pacific white seabass (white fish), blue perch, opaleye perch, armadillo perch, pacific sheepshead (undersized), and sanddabs.

A lot of people and ladies were not great anglers which left me to continue to yank up doubles of white seabass until I got sick of it at 40-50 or so. Can only keep 10 per person and rest went to the boat limit and others. Many people were targeting what they called bonita which I call a skipjack (stripes on back, not pattern, not striped belly). I have never had interest in eating anything called bonita from the water.

Fun fishing. Ridiculously cheap long day on the water around all the islands out from LA and Ventura at $35 each. Gulf fish are much better :)

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've had a few trips out of Oxnard before with Capt'n Hook. Fun times!
I agree that the Gulf is better...
Thanks for the post and renewing old memories!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts