Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and going to be in Fort Walton beach for a week in early April. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a rookie to try and harvest some oysters in Choctawhatchee bay?
Thank you

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You would have to call the tape and see what conditionally approved areas are open. You also have to take an online test now through the Department of Agriculture

·
Registered
10,146 Posts
For anyone interested Maria's got a big shipment of oysters in this last weekend. I don't know a thing about them give them a call.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I think the days of harvesting your own oysters are gone. Heck, the pros seem to be having a hard time getting them.
Back in the 70s we used to get a lot of them just walking around in rubber boots around Indian Pass.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,430 Posts
This was a good bed.

Img0117.jpg

·
Registered
860 Posts
You would have to call the tape and see what conditionally approved areas are open. You also have to take an online test now through the Department of Agriculture
I harvest oysters all the time for my own personal use and am not aware of any online test required for recreational harvest. I have not found anything on the Dept of Agriculture site or FWC site.
Can you provide a link ?

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Not to mention, aren't pretty much all of the oyster beds around here leased out and not just there for the public to go harvest on?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Not to mention, aren't pretty much all of the oyster beds around here leased out and not just there for the public to go harvest on?
The only current leases are the 2 for Pensacola Bay oyster company " floating leases" But if you want a lease it's around $16 per acre for the total water column and bottom

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
This online coarse is for commercial oyster harvesters and does not apply to recreational harvesters.
I would take it just in case its very informative and it will help you stay out of trouble. There's a lot of laws pertaining to oysters. I know several recreational and commercial guys that have gotten very large tickets and time in front of judges for very small things

1 - 20 of 26 Posts