Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
My favorite subject! Marias on Cervantes had East Bays last week. Nice color and flavor and no dead in the bunch.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Cant beat the East Bays and Mariuas is a good place to get them! However I am sure East Bay will be closed for a while after this rain

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Yea,got mine just as the rains started falling and were probably there for a couple days before that. I suggest using the old fashioned telephone before heading out to buy.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Too much rain causes run-off which carries leachates from septic tanks and overloads treatment systems up river. East Bay has no real industies up-river, but the watershed does have plenty of septic tanks and the City of Crestview . My guess is that it will be another week before the State opens "our" beds again...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
East Bay/Escambia Bayis still closed to oystering. The way they used to determine if the oyster beds are open is to look at the river levels upstream. For instance the state looks at the water levels at the escambia riverbridge on HWY 4 then calculates how long it will take the water to reach the bay. I think it was 3 or 4 days from water that is at escambia river bridge to reach escambia bay. By judging the river level they can determine how much fresh water the bay will have in a couple day. According to NOAA escambia river is still very high. Their site is http://ahps.srh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=mob&gage=ctyf1&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Their is a site that is updated daily that list what bodies of water are open to oyster. The site is http://shellfish.floridaaquaculture.com/seas/seas_westgulf.htm. I would not expect the oyster bedsto be open within a week given the amount of rain that fell to the north of us and the river levels are still up.

On the first link provided it shows that escambia river is at 22 ft and is not expected to go below flood stage until December 27th add 4 days to that total and the oyster beds should be opened (without any additional rain) around the first of the year.

Be careful with vendors that say they are east bay oysters. They have not been able to oyster in East Bay for 2 weeks now. A majority of the oyster bought locally come from escambia bay and are just listed as East Bay oysters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts