Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in Posner marine a while back and picked up a brochure for a program where they are collecting oyster shells from restaurants and making reefs in Bayou Texar. The program is run by Keep Pensacola Beatiful along with several other agencies. The brochure said volunteers needed so since I have an old beat up 24 Carolina Skiff I decided to volunteer. My first time helping was this past Saturday where we put out roughly 1200 bags of oyster shells. We used my skiff and Mr Posner brought a big alum skiff along with an alum boat owned by the state. It was really enjoyable to help out. They are planning on another reef build next Saturday. I will post a link to the flyer when I figure out how.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Your title says oyster reef restoration. Were there oyster reefs in Bayou Texar in the past? Will this program involve oyster seeding?

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,135 Posts
Don't have to eat them, but oysters are filter feeders and can help clean up waterways. Sometimes it's about the watershed and not about food necessarily. Plus they attract fish (again not necessary to eat them). Imagine if a couple oyster beds thrive, the water clears a little, we stop runoff...the water clears a lot... Sure it's YEARS away.

But it ain't Rocket Surgery. There are ways to clean up our bayous Some of it is "commercial" pollution, some residential, most is runoff. Better draining from roads, fewer septic tanks, reroute old city drains...

I don't eat the bass out of my backyard pond, but they are fun to catch.

Jim

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
X2^, If everyone would just do 1 thing, everytime they go on the water, to help restore our waterways, and not polute them, it would ensure that our grandchildren and beyond will enjoy them also!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
They have Been in Bayou Texar for awhile now, Most of them are infront of Bayview Park.. Kinda between the big peir and the launch, and Yes they are to help clean the bayou..Not eat... They have some over by dead-mans island also.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Oysters provide numerous ecosystem services and inshore oyster reefs have been shown to be much more valuable to inshore fisheries than offshore artificial reefs. The hard substrate that oyster shells provide will allow native oysters a place to start growing and reproducing. This is a long term investment to improvement of an ecosystem that will yield benefits in the future.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
Your title says oyster reef restoration. Were there oyster reefs in Bayou Texar in the past? Will this program involve oyster seeding?

Like some others said, I think the point of the oyster reefs in Texar is to create a natural filtering system. I don't think they are trying to restore something that was already there. Interested to see how it pans out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts