Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Roy Crabtree just called me and I regret to inform you that the Agency has denied the Gulf Council?s recommendation for a 10% effort reduction based on hurricanes and economics in the red snapper rebuilding plan. Thus, it will be published in the federal register this week that the recreational regulations going into effect next year will be;<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">16 inch size limit<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">2 fish bag limit<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">June 1- September 30 season (122days)<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Say good-bye to Cobia and King's they will be severly targeted

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Let me break this down for all of you weekend warriors....

122 days open snapper season

16 Saturdays and 16 Sundays.....32 weekend days total

Out of those 32 weekend days lets say half will be fishable due to weather...

This takes you to 16 fishable days...

Now your honeydo's and other family plans lets you fish 8 of these 16days...

So now you have eight days to snapper fish.....You may think these numbers are extreme, but for a lot of people who can only fish weekends they may not be too extreme...I am fortunate enough to fish any day I want to with my work schedule and have been able to for the last 15 years...it's too bad more people didn't get involved....:banghead

·
Super Moderator
12,809 Posts
CAPT. PAUL REDMAN (10/23/2007)<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">...<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Say good-bye to Cobia and King's they will be severly targeted
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">you got that right!:banghead

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
:bangheadWe mostly Billfish but snapper aren't tohard to catch when we stop and try for them. Do the peolpe who make these laws not fish? I'm sure it will impact other species, casuing them to become over regulated in the future

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea those Marlin steaks are looking real good now. It only takes one 100 inch blue marlin to have good size BBQ.

Too little too late

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
That is a bunch of bologna. They are catering to the commercial fisherman.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Like Paul said it will hurt the other fishing as well. I for one and like most of you are going to try and come home with a full box of fish and if it is not snapper it will be something else till they stop that also! Still trying to figure out how to come home with a half an AJ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It wasn't too many years ago that you could buy redfish and speckled trout at the seafood market. Along came the blackened redfish craze and other pressure and these two species were taken off the commercial market and declared sportfish. Why can't the same be done with red snapper? I'll answer the question myself: money.

·
Registered
684 Posts
That's why I won't buy snapper or any other seafood at the markets or at restuarants. If I can't catch it on my own then I'll do without it.But I can honestly say I don't support the commericalaspects of harvesting from an already over harvested marine environment. I enjoy the sport but if we gotta cut back then so should we all!Ifwe all put ourmoney where our mouths are at we'd make a big dent in the profit element evolved with this situation.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not to really stir too much shit, but your title says "outlook for snapper not to(o) good."

Now, I don't know all the facts and stats, but I do know that for some reason, Gulf Snapper are viewed as overfished. If they're overfished, then this is GOOD NEWS for Snapper and maybe in a year or two they'll raise back up the limits once they've recovered. Surely, shrimp by-catch has been reduced due to less effort.

If the science is bad, then get a lawyer. This is certainly a class actionable problem if every recreational fisherman is being hosed due to faulty data. Call Mike Papantonio. He likes snapper!

In the meantime, why not rephrase this and say "Outlook for snapper limits not good" or "Outlook for Joe Pattis excellent." Work to declare the Snapper gamefish, but please quit with the misleading posts.

No matter what your opinion, this change is surely good for Snapper.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts