Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
If it is just for inshore, I would say the same thing.... but I take my 18ft 20+ miles off shore, when I shut that yamaha off I know it is going to get me back home when I turn the key... its an 06 2 stroke 90.....
I know hull design is going to be a big factor but how fast does that 90 push your 18?

And yeah I definitely wouldn't take this thing out the pass with this old merc so it would be an inshore boat until I repowered. Even after a repower probably no farther than a mile or 2 offshore.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
You could fine a used 4 stroke Suzuki or Yamaha for 5k Or less.
My thinking is the main reason a used outboard is for sale without the boat is it has 1000 hours on it and they are repowering , or they are repowering because they are tired of fixing it lol. If I could find a decent one with 500 hours or so I'd definitely check it out

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I know hull design is going to be a big factor but how fast does that 90 push your 18?

And yeah I definitely wouldn't take this thing out the pass with this old merc so it would be an inshore boat until I repowered. Even after a repower probably no farther than a mile or 2 offshore.
WOT 31mph

Cruises at 26ish. But its a 2 stroke so I keep it wound up most of the time just so I don't have to hear any complaining from the passangers, hahahaha

I would love to have 115 4 stroke, but if I drop 15k on a new one, I qould just assume have a bigger boat. Its been too good to me in the last 7 or so years to let it go, lol
Water Sky Watercraft Boat Vehicle
Water Sky Cloud Boat Vertebrate

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
WOT 31mph

Cruises at 26ish. But its a 2 stroke so I keep it wound up most of the time just so I don't have to hear any complaining from the passangers, hahahaha

I would love to have 115 4 stroke, but if I drop 15k on a new one, I qould just assume have a bigger boat. Its been too good to me in the last 7 or so years to let it go, lol View attachment 1090172 View attachment 1090173
Is that a cape horn?

It's a lot of money to spend, but I figure this hull is good and if I spent $15k on a boat right now of the same size it's seems like I'd get a boat the same vintage (early to mid 2000s) with a motor that is unknown, but should at least have some decent electronics (which I still need). Or just bite the bullet and get a 5 year warranty and hopefully many trouble free years. I've heard a lot of good things about the suzuki's. I'd probably be leaning to the 115 now the 140 or 150 seems like more than I would need, and way more money and gas. This boat is gonna be a family hauler and inshore /nearshore fisher.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Is that a cape horn?

It's a lot of money to spend, but I figure this hull is good and if I spent $15k on a boat right now of the same size it's seems like I'd get a boat the same vintage (early to mid 2000s) with a motor that is unknown, but should at least have some decent electronics (which I still need). Or just bite the bullet and get a 5 year warranty and hopefully many trouble free years. I've heard a lot of good things about the suzuki's. I'd probably be leaning to the 115 now the 140 or 150 seems like more than I would need, and way more money and gas. This boat is gonna be a family hauler and inshore /nearshore fisher. View attachment 1090174
Palm Beach. They were modeled off the Horns, accorning to Chris Fabro, they stole a mold, cut a foot off of it amd narrowed it. I am not sure what truth there is or exactly how it works, but it rides great, except for the water coming over the back splashwell while anchored or locked on a spot, lol.

3 years ago I priced a new 115, installed and rigged was less than 10k. Kicking myself in the pants for not pulling the trigger. I would think a 115 would be plenty and you are correct, I would find a good deal on a decent Hull. And put new power on it. My best friend did all the wiring for Horn for 5 years, so I have that part handled, lol

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
My thinking is the main reason a used outboard is for sale without the boat is it has 1000 hours on it and they are repowering , or they are repowering because they are tired of fixing it lol. If I could find a decent one with 500 hours or so I'd definitely check it out
1000 hours is nothing on a 4 stroke Suzie. I’ve seen several engines where a repower was the reason for the sale. Plenty of life left in a motor like this.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I ended up leaving it with Outboard Unlimited in Milton. Sounds like he might even have it ready tomorrow, but hopefully be on the water by next weekend.

Next I have to tackle this swivel pin replacement since it is pretty rusted out. Looks like I will need to pull the power head off to get to it. Part isn't that expensive, but the labor would be killer so I'm going to attempt that myself.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts