Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We headed to my brothers place last weekend for a visit- just to get out of town! So we planned a little fishing excursion. Nothing fancy- as a matter of fact, we were fighting a full moon and muddy water! LOL
Anyway- after getting there late, and getting up EARLY- we hit the ramp near the end of Hwy 316 just before the break of dawn.
The ride out to Lake Mechant was nice- and never having been out there before, exciting!

We got to my brothers spot just at sunrise- and we took a moment to watch and enjoy! That itself was well worth the trip!
I started throwing my favorite topwater- to see if there was anything really hungry.... My brother was using frozen shrimp under a popping cork. I quickly changed to a soft plastic when I couldn't entice anything to even chase my MirroLure SheDog. By now my big brother was getting some bites in the roseau grass, but nothing substantial yet!
Finally he got a solid hit and landed this 25" red.

So, I switch over to a good old Rip N Slash- trout pattern. I am throwing this thing all over. But I'm guessing the full moon and overnight feeding had them sluggish and unresponsive to my artificials.
Brother is catching a couple "kitty cats"- and I finally give in and get a cork out of my box and tie the hook on and cork- and bait up with some of his "skrimp"....

Ok- I'm not doing much better! LOL
Anyway- brother and I catch a couple undersized black drum....

And something BIG "nuzzles" my hook. I see this big tail come out of the water- nose stand... for what seemed like a minute. It was as wide, if not wider, than my hand! He was definitely in a lazy mood! When I first felt him- I thought "CRAP! I'm hung!" I got a log or something! My Fenwick trout rod is bent over and finally my Quantum Smoke 50Pts starts to give some drag- SLOWLY! I'm trying to get a solid hookset on this behemoth, and he is doing head-stands! I swear it was a big old black drum- like the ones I've seen hanging around the docks at the condo in Orange Beach. Brother says its a big redfish- but whatever it is- he wasn't moving much, and I was trying to put some pressure on him. Finally he shifts and the hook and cork pops out! DANG!!!
Funny thing- we see him roll in the water quite a few times after that all along the bank- My brother starts calling him A$$hole fish! "He's teasing us!"
Anyway, we catch a few more small backs drum, and then brother catches his second red- 27"! With a tag! What a surprise.

Not long afterward, the bite really shut down. We goofed off for awhile- then headed to the ramp- Just in time to get a big sack of Crawfish and shrimp to boil for dinner!
It was an enjoyable weekend!
I told him to call me when the conditions were more favorable and I'd come running! LOL
Here is a little "on the road" video report. I shot it and edited it on my IPhone 7+ Not too shabby!
Hope you enjoyed it!
Have a Blessed Day!

FYI- He's not totally crazy... LOL. On the video where he is hollering about "Ronald"- is an "inside joke". His friends know what its about. LOL

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way.... do we have any Louisiana residents on here? If so- I have a question?
Here, if you are on the boat and you pass by another boater- you wave (aka: give a friendly gesture or other greeting). Boating in Alabama and Florida, I can safely say probably 90% of the other boaters I come across will do just that.
While on the water Louisiana, most of the other boaters we passed would not even as much nod when I raised a hand. I don't know if I want to take my boat to that state. I was thinking there was no way they could be that unfriendly- that my brother must have managed to piss off everyone in south-central Louisiana! Lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
Answer to Badonsky: Hey Bad... First let me say how much this redass (that's half red neck and half coonass ) loves your utube vids!! Thanks. Now boat polity In LA. As was hinted at above. In LA we have coonasses. Some are super polite, but there is that "mr." Coonass Breed too. But, rest assured, if you are out there in trouble they will give you the shirt off their back. Come on back anytime, bring your boat, and "keep a line in the water".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts