Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We headed to my brothers place last weekend for a visit- just to get out of town! So we planned a little fishing excursion. Nothing fancy- as a matter of fact, we were fighting a full moon and muddy water! LOL
Anyway- after getting there late, and getting up EARLY- we hit the ramp near the end of Hwy 316 just before the break of dawn.
The ride out to Lake Mechant was nice- and never having been out there before, exciting!

We got to my brothers spot just at sunrise- and we took a moment to watch and enjoy! That itself was well worth the trip!
I started throwing my favorite topwater- to see if there was anything really hungry.... My brother was using frozen shrimp under a popping cork. I quickly changed to a soft plastic when I couldn't entice anything to even chase my MirroLure SheDog. By now my big brother was getting some bites in the roseau grass, but nothing substantial yet!
Finally he got a solid hit and landed this 25" red.

So, I switch over to a good old Rip N Slash- trout pattern. I am throwing this thing all over. But I'm guessing the full moon and overnight feeding had them sluggish and unresponsive to my artificials.
Brother is catching a couple "kitty cats"- and I finally give in and get a cork out of my box and tie the hook on and cork- and bait up with some of his "skrimp"....

Ok- I'm not doing much better! LOL
Anyway- brother and I catch a couple undersized black drum....

And something BIG "nuzzles" my hook. I see this big tail come out of the water- nose stand... for what seemed like a minute. It was as wide, if not wider, than my hand! He was definitely in a lazy mood! When I first felt him- I thought "CRAP! I'm hung!" I got a log or something! My Fenwick trout rod is bent over and finally my Quantum Smoke 50Pts starts to give some drag- SLOWLY! I'm trying to get a solid hookset on this behemoth, and he is doing head-stands! I swear it was a big old black drum- like the ones I've seen hanging around the docks at the condo in Orange Beach. Brother says its a big redfish- but whatever it is- he wasn't moving much, and I was trying to put some pressure on him. Finally he shifts and the hook and cork pops out! DANG!!!
Funny thing- we see him roll in the water quite a few times after that all along the bank- My brother starts calling him A$$hole fish! "He's teasing us!"
Anyway, we catch a few more small backs drum, and then brother catches his second red- 27"! With a tag! What a surprise.

Not long afterward, the bite really shut down. We goofed off for awhile- then headed to the ramp- Just in time to get a big sack of Crawfish and shrimp to boil for dinner!
It was an enjoyable weekend!
I told him to call me when the conditions were more favorable and I'd come running! LOL
Here is a little "on the road" video report. I shot it and edited it on my IPhone 7+ Not too shabby!
Hope you enjoyed it!
Have a Blessed Day!

FYI- He's not totally crazy... LOL. On the video where he is hollering about "Ronald"- is an "inside joke". His friends know what its about. LOL

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way.... do we have any Louisiana residents on here? If so- I have a question?
Here, if you are on the boat and you pass by another boater- you wave (aka: give a friendly gesture or other greeting). Boating in Alabama and Florida, I can safely say probably 90% of the other boaters I come across will do just that.
While on the water Louisiana, most of the other boaters we passed would not even as much nod when I raised a hand. I don't know if I want to take my boat to that state. I was thinking there was no way they could be that unfriendly- that my brother must have managed to piss off everyone in south-central Louisiana! Lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Answer to Badonsky: Hey Bad... First let me say how much this redass (that's half red neck and half ******* ) loves your utube vids!! Thanks. Now boat polity In LA. As was hinted at above. In LA we have *********. Some are super polite, but there is that "mr." ******* Breed too. But, rest assured, if you are out there in trouble they will give you the shirt off their back. Come on back anytime, bring your boat, and "keep a line in the water".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts