Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We got our first ever Blackfin Tuna today in Destin. Got on the water around 2:00PM and jigged up a bucket full of cigs. Started trolling cigs around for a couple hours, nothing but a small king and a huge bonita.

Around 4:00 there were acres and acres of cigs and sardines busting so we started soaking live cigs on the edges of the schools. The rod on the front of the Yak gets hammered and bows up, drag is screaming for a good 15 to 20 seconds before it slows.:blink:

Isiah (12yr old son, riding shotgun) is on the rod and says he feels head shakes and the fish is going straight down and pulling the Yak along steadily so we suspect it may be TUna time!

We got hit on our light King and S-mac setup so it took us a good 50 minutes to baby him up (sounded 5 times!) and finally get the tail grab (forgot gaff in the ride)!

We took him over to the Destin Fishing Rodeo scales for a weigh in and he came out to 22.8 Lbs ungutted. No Blackfin Tuna category for the Kayak division... :no:

Ate: Live turbo cig
Rig: Two #4 4x trebles on 40lb AFW Surfstrand
Reel/Line: Spinfisher V 6500, 20lb test (YO-ZURI Hybrid)

Attachments

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Child+kayak+blackfin tuna= best kayak report I've read!

His face is priceless. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Child+kayak+blackfin tuna= best kayak report I've read!

His face is priceless. Thanks for sharing
Thanks ChrisV! I was so proud to see him battle that fish for 50 minutes. That's one fish i'm sure he'll remember for his lifetime!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Awesome! That is cool yall got to do that together!

Still waiting to get my first Kayak BFT!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome!!:thumbup:....I gotta know did he get the digits from miss destin she looked very impressed.;):notworthy:

Haha, he said she was "....OK...." lol. He's more interested in real tuna right now I guess.. :thumbsup:

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Hi Disco, Yeah that was probably us. We were fishing the crystal beach area saturday.
My buddy and I were out there in kayaks on the mrs louise when yall pulled up. Man the bait was thick out there. We usually fish in FWB and that was our first time fishing in Destin. We didnt do very good. A couple kings a couple triggers and a couple darn ramoras.

We saw you two doubled hooked up at one time and it looked like the youngster got his fish bit in half from where we were sitting. I wish we would have paddled over and said hello now.

Again great Job on the BFT!!!

·
Sand Land
184 Posts
Great Post!!! That smile is priceless. Sooo good to see a young man fishing and not his face in a ipod, ipad or some other gadget. Keep fishin' little guy...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My buddy and I were out there in kayaks on the mrs louise when yall pulled up. Man the bait was thick out there. We usually fish in FWB and that was our first time fishing in Destin. We didnt do very good. A couple kings a couple triggers and a couple darn ramoras.

We saw you two doubled hooked up at one time and it looked like the youngster got his fish bit in half from where we were sitting. I wish we would have paddled over and said hello now.

Again great Job on the BFT!!!
Oh yeah! I remember seeing ya'll now. His fish got mauled by a shark on the way in. We'll definitely roll up and say hi next time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts