Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

OUCH!!

8K views 34 replies 34 participants last post by  konz 
#1 ·
Since this new forum seems to be easier to post pictures I am going to show everyone what happens when you get careless while fishing.Always make sure the rod is placed in the rod holder with adequate slack in the line BEFORE handling hooks and fish.We were 80 miles offshore and catching fish when this happened.Small fish was tailwrapped and I was holding gaff with fish in one hand and diamond jig with treble hooks (treble hooks not wanted on boat anymore) in the other.Angler "flipped the bail" and stuck rod in rod holder.After agonising with small cutters we got my hand open and made for the long ride home.Dr.had to get on table to obtain enough leverage to push hooks all the way thru.Ruined a good fishing trip.This is what was left after cutting hooks off.

See less See more
#13 ·
I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! :sick :crying :reallycrying

This was taken from the "KFS" website.

One of the worst fears of a kayak, or any other fisher, is to embed a large hook accidentally in a head, arm, or leg. However, the problem is even worse for the yak fisher who must use a paddle to get home with. If you have a hook embedded in your hand, this may be so painful as to make it virtually impossible to return to your launch site before dark. I have tried a variety of sturdy, plier-type tools with wire cutters, but none did the job of cutting thru a large fishing hook satisfactorily so that you could remove it by yourself. I began looking again this week for a pair of small bolt cutters, since the 13 or 14 inch bolt cutters that I have, although they did this job admirably, were too big to carry on a yak. I finally found what I was looking for at Lowe's-a pair of mini-bolt cutters, only 8.25 inches long, that would fit nicely into a large tackle or gear box, or in a hatch or crate. This is the Lowe's Task Force 8 inch Mini Bolt Cutter for $9.98. My test object was a 5/0 stainless steel O'Shaughnessy hook that was easily sliced and diced by this tool. Of course, the closer you can get the fulcrum point of the bolt cutter to the shaft of the hook, the easier it will be to sever it. One optimal strategy is to try and force the tip of the hook all the way thru the finger or hand so that the barb can be cut off, and the hook then backed out. Of course, this is much easier said than done, and it may take some time to find the right person to perform this operation for you!

I have been carrying a pair of these, or simular for years. Thankfuly, I've only had to use them once.

#14 ·
It was a treble hook on a 16 oz diamond jig.The way it went in my hand I could not open my hand to get to the hooks.In order to get the weight off we cut the split ring with a pair of needle nose pliers.That was not smart.I think I got quiet and turned white.We eventually got a small pair of crimpers with a side cutter.Not much better but it worked.The guy suggested wrapping a string around the hook and give it a snatch!I told him it was not a brim hook and he proceeded to suggest "Snatch the hell out of it!"I thought he was crazy until I opened up the first aid kit and there was a "hook removal system" complete with detailed instructions about "giving it a good snatch."It is a T handle with a loop of string that you are supposed to wrap around the shaft of the hook andwhile applying a downward pressure give it a snatch.Needless to sayI did not tell anyone on the boatfor fear they would give it a field test.The only pain that was bad was cutting the split ring and having to leave the fish biting.On hindsight we should have fished on.I think the danger of me driving the boat while everyone else slept was greater than the chance of infection setting in before I got to the Hospital.The Dr. was great and when I told him about the hook removal system he said they would be doing surgery to fix my hand if we had tried it.Although the Dr.seemed genially concerned about infection from seawater it was not a problem and the hand was healed in about a week.

#15 ·
Glad your alright. I would have been runnin around the boat,screaming like a little girl till the rum kicked in:letsdrink

#19 ·
OMG that looks like it hurt bad . Wish i had a digital photo of a poor deck hand that took a 14/0 hook right in the center of the meaty part of the forearm. We were 500 miles out from port off mexico and no doctor on board besides the captain . The hook got stuck in his arm right after he gaffed a huge tuna i had caught . As he lifted the fish over the rail with the other deck hand , one of the two hooks on kite rig got stuck between a gap in the wooden rail as they pulled the fish over the rail. When the line got tight due the fish hitting the deck the other hook shot out at 100 mph into his forarm so deep it sank into the bone. After several attemps by the captain to get it out , another long range boat was contacted for help. Luck have it , there was a emergency room doctor on abord that came over via skiff to perform surgery in the galley saving our trip. The hook was removed on the spot and the deck hand actually began working again till the catain told him to take 8.

#24 ·
Looks extremely painful...I once had a treble hook stuck in my leg near the shin bone from a king rig and we didn't have anything strong enough to cut through the metal and we were only about 20 miles out. On the way in, I kept ice on it to keep it numb...the ice seemed to help.

Glad to hear that you healed quickly with no complications. Probably a good idea to make sure everyone has a tetanus shot/booster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.