Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my family and I will be down the first of June I am pretty new to surf fishing but want to try when we are there ! First off will this time of the year even be worth trying . Second what is the best bait for then and what colors thank you in advance !

·
Registered
118 Posts
As Mr Fish said on baits. If you have little ones with you or get bored waiting for a hit in the trough on the big rig, bring a lightweight setup rigged with a split shot, tiny hook, and small bits of shrimp for whiting, just beyond the wave break.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the advice I will be doing that . What about casting while waiting on something to take the beach pole ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey guys my family and I will be down the first of June I am pretty new to surf fishing but want to try when we are there ! First off will this time of the year even be worth trying . Second what is the best bait for then and what colors thank you in advance !

Depends on what you are trying to catch. I'm too ADD to put out a beach pole, so I like using an ultralight spinning rod and reel, and cast out crappie jigs or pompano jigs on the shore side of the sandbar. I don't catch much worth keeping, but have a lot of fun with whiting and ladyfish (and occasionally a pompano). I'd go by one of the local bait shops to find out what is working.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Figuring if you can cast while having beach rods setup really depends on how much the family actually helps.

I bring my beach rods which I watch but also have setups to throw a pompano jig/teaser and a small (like 1/8th oz) silver kastmaster spoon.

Even if nothing else is biting the 11 year old has a blast pulling in baitfish.

Another thing I did was instead of getting a sand flea rake I got a big aluminum colander and it turns searching for sand fleas into another fun experience (at least for an 11 year old).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts