Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left my house for the boat ramp at 9:30, pulled up to the ramp and realized I left the boat key in the garage. Back to the house and and 40 minutes later I was on the water. Pulled up to the Caribe dock and saw a few Sheepshead on a piling, but couldn't get any to bite drifting shrimp on a slip cork. I moved to the jetties and the farewell buoy, but didn't see any fish there. On to the bridge, where I caught a few snags and pulled a swivel through an egg weight(first for me). At this point, I was pretty frustrated so I decided to give the dock another shot. Saw a school of sheeps and anchored up current from them. This time I fished the bottom using a carolina rig.
Just as my frustration was about to boil over, a sheepshead was nice enough to hook himself. My new Quantum Iron 30 Pts put a hurting on him all the way to the boat. Put the net in the water just in time for the hook to pull, but at least I knew they were biting. From then on I was pulling one after the other out of the water and into the cooler. Kept five and headed back to the launch leaving plenty of hungry fish to be caught another day. The largest was just under 6lbs with the next biggest both coming in at 5.5. Can't say enough about how much I like this Quantum Iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dang! I almost went today but took my wife deer hunting instead!

Congrats on a good catch.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the solunar tables, the major feeding time was supposed to be 10am to 12pm. However, the water was barely moving until after noon. My first bite was right at 1:30pm. I guess they feed on their own time.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks like the water would have been moving pretty good (incoming tide) between 1 and 2pm. Were you able to get close enough to the docks to fish vertically or were you having to cast a small distance and let it sit on bottom? How much weight did you have to use to keep it there?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like the water would have been moving pretty good (incoming tide) between 1 and 2pm. Were you able to get close enough to the docks to fish vertically or were you having to cast a small distance and let it sit on bottom? How much weight did you have to use to keep it there?
I was about 15' up current of the piling I was fishing anchored about 6-8' off the dock. Had plenty of conversations with older gentlemen who were eating at Cobalt while I was fishing. I used a 1.5 ounce egg weight. Went out again today and caught a couple more, but didn't stay quite as long.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was about 15' up current of the piling I was fishing anchored about 6-8' off the dock. Had plenty of conversations with older gentlemen who were eating at Cobalt while I was fishing. I used a 1.5 ounce egg weight. Went out again today and caught a couple more, but didn't stay quite as long.
Good job!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts