Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed down this weekend for a week in Orange Beach. Taking my skiff and staying on Cotton Bayou. I plan on fishing the rocks at the pass and around the bridge. I've had decent luck catching mangrove snapper there in the past. I'll hit up the few oyster reefs I know about in Perdido bay as well.
I'm hoping the gulf is flat at least one day next Thursday - Sunday so I can make a run out a couple of miles for red snapper.

Does anyone have recommendations for good spots? What are you seeing biting right now? I'll probably stick to live shrimp, whatever I can net and my artificials.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Man, I haven't been able to get on the water in 3 weeks, I have no idea. But I hope you find some fish!

Reactions: Rivetseam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I haven't been able to get on the water in 3 weeks, I have no idea. But I hope you find some fish!
Thanks and me too! I usually just target trout and redfish but i'm going to try to branch out a little this trip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what it's looking like! Hopefully I'll have something good to report back on in a couple of days. This week has been draaaaaaaaagging by...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Spanish are outside the pass.
the spanish and blues usually run on an incoming tide at alabama point.
the time varies with the tide movement and i have waited until 2 am to start catching the little bastards. anything shiny will get a good size fish,,,even the blues. the cutoffs are numerous if you use florocarbon and they are leader shy of steel.

jack

Reactions: Rivetseam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little follow up on the trip...
The weather was great the whole week. The gulf was flat every day except for Thursday afternoon and Friday. Didn't have a lot of luck inshore on the trout. I'm assuming it's because of the heat. Only hooked into 1 nice speck but it cut my line before I could get it on the boat. Next time I'll be sure to check my leader before casting. :oops:
I did get into some nice redfish one night. Caught my limit in half an hour. Largest being 25 inches, smallest around 18. Probably could have caught another 15 if I had some friends on the boat! Loaded up the crab trap multiple times which made for great dinners. The snapper bite was great, just struggled to get keepers on the boat. The last day I probably caught 10, but the only keeper I had was a mangrove.
Overall a great trip. Here are a few pictures from the week. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Attachments

Reactions: Riverfan
1 - 9 of 9 Posts