Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I took my pro angler out for the first time this past Saturday. it was my first time ever in a kayak, first time offshore so I don't have anything to compare the experience to. but I felt really uncomfortable with the seat on the kickstands. I'm 6'3 300 lbs so I'm sure that didn't help me, but are there any other options that are lower but not on the deck? I cant find anything. I'm thinking of trimming and rewelding the front legs on my seat. or am I over thinking it and will I get more comfortable with more seat time?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Did you try it in the lower settings? Did you change seat angle, back, lumbar? I woildnt mod that seat. They cost $500 amd if you messed it up or wanted to sell the yak you'd have to buy a new one. Honestly, if aren't comfortable in that seat, you won't be comfortable in a yak. I fish in a PA, but have fished in everything from a pelican up and the comfort of the PA can't be touched.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I switched it to the down position and it was much better. it wasn't that I was uncomfortable physically, I just felt much more unstable with it up. I didn't expect it to be that drastic I guess.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I always fish with it up, it may be you just getting used to a yak amd being on open water. The PA is anything put tippy. I've stood in open water and fought large sharks and never came close to being uncomfortable. So I think it's just getting used to it. Maybe try some protected water to get a feel for it. I think you'll find sitting up higher is generally better.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Offshore is NOT the place to start kayak fishing. Stay inshore/sound area until you get comfortable , know where you want to place things on your yak, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your first time kayak fishing was offshore in a pa? Talk about jumping in feet first. I currently own a pa. I have had everything from BPS boats to Jackson and Native. The pa is by far the most comfortable stable platform i have ever used. I think maybe you got in a bit over your head. I would stick to inshore for a while. BTW you only have me by about 20 lbs so I know its not a weight issue. Good luck and BE SAFE.

Go borrow a buddies non hobie kayak and fish out of that for a weekend. Then you will truly appreciate the comfort and stability of the pa.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts