Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some options for adding an extra 10-20 gallons. I don't want to rip up my boat but is there an alternative to adding saddle tanks on each side. Is the best way to go just carry a couple extra 5 gallons gas cans. Do they make any kind of flexible tanks, ect. Would like to start trolling more this fall but would like having extra fuel if seas got nasty. If I did put something under the floor I'd like to keep it centered, even if it was only an extra 10 gallons.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
You could do a collapsable gas bladder down below with a hand pump. That way it would be removable if you were just doing a fun cruise. I find that when i need a little extra range and am fishing, i dont use my cabin at all. So i just carry a couple 6gal gas tanks in the cabin lashed down. Or you could get some nice metal gas cans and make mounts for them on your swim platforms. Might look pretty sweet. The Jeep of the Gulf. I normally carry an extra, larger, fire extinguisher with me whenever i bring gas that is not in the tank.

·
Registered
710 Posts
We bring 5 gal cans and refuel at the point when it will fit in the tank. I have a hard top so we strap them up there once empty. May look silly but rather make it home.. Your boat should be able to fit 2 on each swim platform. Great place for them full and empty.

·
Mines Bigger
2,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was looking for something like that but didn't know what it would be called. I googled gas bladder tank and these came up. Looks like what I was looking for.

http://atlinc.com/pillow.html#C1

Most are pretty big for commecial type stuff but the 25 gallon might work

·
Registered
945 Posts
I have 2 @ 34 gal...1 @14 gal

Bladders.... We were only able to get 27 gal in each one. We used them for deisel... Get a price, and I'll sell these for half /new...

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Pouring 5gal cans of gas in a pitching boat is not what you want to be doing.

Spillage and throwing you off balance while hanging onto a can is not fun and in fact can be dangerous.

A valve setup that you can plug into when needed and turn a valve handle is sooooo much easier and safer. Yes a saddle tank.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Bladders, cans always have fumes as X-Shark says trying to pour from a can is difficult and dangerous, an extra fire extinguisher is great is great for a fire not much help in an explosion.

With a bladder you have a transfer system, without having to connect any electricity. Put the nozzle in the fill tube open the valve and with pressure on the bladder push the gas into the tank. Roll up the bladder and stow it -- above deck somewhere.

I have been researching these for a bit and if memory serves, gas and diesel bladders are made of different material and not interchangeable.

If I decide to keep my boat I plan to purchase a bladder.

·
Really Senior Member
485 Posts
I'm pretty sure that buried deep in the USCG regs there is a rule against gas cans, drums, etc. Approved tanks or bladders are all that is legal and safe.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Snap I'm pretty sure you are right, don't have much experience with fuel and boats, but do with rotor and fixed wing aircraft, the rules are plentiful, but are all built for safety. We used to haul hazardous / flammable stuff on helicopters but were really careful. Probably the only place worse to have an on board fire is an airplane.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm pretty sure that buried deep in the USCG regs there is a rule against gas cans, drums, etc. Approved tanks or bladders are all that is legal and safe.
I was just wondering if gas cans are illegal, how does Sea Tow or Tow Boat US get gas to you when you need it delivered from them?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I was just wondering if gas cans are illegal, how does Sea Tow or Tow Boat US get gas to you when you need it delivered from them?
I'm sure they do it with can's. It's a little different when you run out once and need fuel, then planning a steady refueling at sea.

I can remember seeing in the Monkey Boat tournaments. 55gal cans strapped to the bow and 5 gal cans lashed to the Crows nest.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
I used to carry four five gallon cans on the back deck of the V20. It was a challenge pouring them in the tank. Never thought about strapping them on the swim platform. But I am pulling my cap on the V20 this weekend and pending the condition of my fuel tank I will be adding another tank or getting a bigger tank built. I have seen the bladders used a few times. Can you draw fuel directly from the bladder to the engine?

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
I will be adding another tank or getting a bigger tank built.
Go see Roland and Doug @ Blue Coral when you get ready for that.

They are building one for another project I have here now.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Are they who built the tank for you with the bent fuel inlet versus the 90* inlets, and the tank vents front and rear?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Back in the day, we used a 40 gallon drum rigged with a fuel line & strapped to the leaning post. The line was connected to the fuel water separator and we would run off the drum and then switch to the floor tank. Did it 40 times with out any issues with fire, explosion or law enforcement.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,199 Posts
Yes they are and they built one for me also. The only right place to have a tank built. The prices aren't any higher than others either.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Are they who built the tank for you with the bent fuel inlet versus the 90* inlets, and the tank vents front and rear?
Yes. But just tell them you want one like Bobby has them build. Also is a 1/2in plate that is drilled and tapped for the sending unit. The threads do not go into the tank.

That one for Keith aka Ocean Master I helped oversee. It went in his Aquasport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts