Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm no pro here....but the exact temp doesn't matter as long as it's consistent....mine stays around 76 + or - .5 degrees throught the day.

but see what other say

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The lower the better but the key is stability. 70 - 72 would be perfect if you can hit it and have it stay there but up to 78 is ok. Around here 75 is a good place to aim for. The higher the temp, the more the fish will need to eat... the more they eat the more they poop, the more they poop the more you water has a chance of having problems and the more nitrates that you will end up with (which could cause algae problems). Also, as the temp gets higher, the fish are more likely to get sick.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Chris,

You sound like you have done this once or twice,Very good info.Do you still have your big tank or did you get rid of it before the move to the new house?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
:) Yup!!! Went from a 60 to a 110 to a 250... Had about $16,000 into my last one but sold it all off and now I am down to one nano (6gal).

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Mine fluctuates a few degrees and stays around 80 + or - 2 degrees, How dO I get it cooler and keep it there. It is a 180 gal that is flush mounted in a wall. I added 2 4" fans to the top of lid and have them on a timer to come on when the lights do. They have stopped the evaorating water from getting the inside of the canope wet but have not done alot for the temp. I keep the house about 78 bit this is by the front door and there is no air duct in the room with the aquarium. There is not really much room under the tank for a chiller nor can I afford one right now. Any other tricks?

Thanks

Sky

·
Registered
512 Posts
If you have a sump under the tank you can go buy a cheap clip on fan from wally world and clip it to the side of your sump blowing directly toward the water and this will work to drop it a couple degrees,not a miracle cure but it works.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My temp on my 180, 90 and 55gal. reef tanks allruns 80-82 depending and I am growing SPS and soft corals faster than I can cut them back. Most reefs around the world run at 83 degrees. for you FOWLR system temp flux is not as crucial as it would be if youwere keeping corals. 80-83 range is ok as long as the temp is steady with very little rapid flux. Sounds like your temp is perfectly fine to me. I know some off the best SPS dominated captive coral reefs are kept at 80 degrees. Also if your canopy is closed, you can cut out the top with a jig saw.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I think your temp is fine but if you just want it lower go with the clip on fan. that worked good for me till I could afford the chiller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts