Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy’s neighbor selling this boat for pretty low. Engine knocking and may need a lower unit. speculating everything else is decent shape, would you guys think this make a good boat

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Inboard outboardold proline ? What year boat ? Price ?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inboard outboardold proline ? What year boat ? Price ?
The price around 3K. I’m not sure the year. I will find out. I agree get rid of the inboard outboard. Just wonder when you do all that and whatever work needs to be done if you’d have more money into it then it’s worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
The price around 3K. I’m not sure the year. I will find out. I agree get rid of the inboard outboard. Just wonder when you do all that and whatever work needs to be done if you’d have more money into it then it’s worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you can do ALL the work yourself you might come out ahead. If you can't you better be filthy rich.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
For those in the know, wouldn’t a new bracket be at least $1500? I would find out the year and compare it to similar Pro Lines with good running outboards.

I don’t think it is cheap enough to buy it just because it’s a deal. You would have to be looking for a boat like that and be willing to do the conversion, and do it right

Reactions: chaps

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
You might as well accept the fact that you are always going to have more invested in a boat that what it is worth. It's just a matter of how much more. If you are handy with fixing things, like working on stuff, and are willing to write off the time you spend as time that you would have wasted doing something else anyway, then you can keep the imbalance reasonable. As soon as you have to hire somebody to work on it the imbalance curve goes way up. It is better to find one that someone else has put the effort into restoring and let them absorb the loss.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,347 Posts
EVERY time an I/O boat is mentioned on this site, nearly, well okay, EVERYBODY says "STAY AWAY". Especially if it is kept in salt water full time.

I believe they are right.

Inboards are better, but present their own issues, but necessary after a certain size. Trawlers, battlewagon fishing boats that are equal yacht and fishing, etc.

Outboards are the way to go in salt water.

Jim

·
Registered
548 Posts
Buddy’s neighbor selling this boat for pretty low. Engine knocking and may need a lower unit. speculating everything else is decent shape, would you guys think this make a good boat

View attachment 1075935 View attachment 1075936 View attachment 1075937
I’ve got a ‘97 Proline 251 and love it. The 231is almost 25 long. I did quite a bit of research on it before I bought it, and found that Proline quit using wood in their hulls around ‘95, although some were built using wood prior to the switch that year, so if this hull is a ‘96 or later year, then I would jump on this if it’s cheap. You can find the year on the starboard/stern corner of it hasn’t gotten knocked off. There should be a serial number there that has the year of manufacture.
Personally, I have no problem with an I/O. It’s actually a little easier to work on, IMO. Things on my ‘97 are starting to fail, but I expected that. I’ve done bilge pumps, some lights, but I’m a real believer in Proline boats. IMO they built a boat that was strong where it needed to be. No it’s not a Grady but it’s as good or better as any of the moderately priced boats

1 - 20 of 37 Posts